Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I didn't read the link, but thought curly toes were more of a lengthy hatch issue. They are easy enough to fix w/ "tape shoes" if caught early. Rudy had to wear shoes for the first week or so, and a bunch of other interventions, he is fine now.

I didn't read the link, but thought curly toes were more of a lengthy hatch issue.  They are easy enough to fix w/ "tape shoes" if caught early.  Rudy had to wear shoes for the first week or so, and a bunch of other interventions, he is fine now.

I actually thought that it's because of inbreeding until this year's hatches. Thanks for explaining me reason of it, it was also mentioned in link.

If I remeber right, Rudy had several problem as few days old chick, or was it only curled legs?

I believe the curled toes are a result of something not going right after lock down. I've only had one hatch that had chicks with problems. Three turkens died randomly, and several others had leg issues. I realized after the fact that one edge of my hatcher was about 5 degrees cooler than the rest of it. Apparently room air was getting in and cooling off that section. All the chicks that had problems were from that part of the hatcher. I'm sure the temperature drop during lock down affected them negatively.

I'm inclined to think incubator related issues is a valid cause, at least one of if there are more than one cause. I used to have golden pheasants... a fair number hatched in the incubator would have toe issues, however not a single one hatched under hens or pheasants came out with crooked toes....

Chicks born with normal toes only to have them eventually kink/crook later on is genetically caused.

I actually thought that it's because of inbreeding until this year's hatches. Thanks for explaining me reason of it, it was also mentioned in link.

If I remeber right, Rudy had several problem as few days old chick, or was it only curled legs?

No I had to force hatch him early (maybe 12ish hours early) b/c he was shrink wrapped, not fully absorbed yolk sack, huge abd hernia, splay legs, curled toes, and extreme weakness. It was rocky at first but he came out a fighter.

Wow those are tough ones... what color were their chick down?

I checked today, my araucana boy has ground colour blue/black with some buff (I mean half of his feathers which are close to the body). the visible half is mostly mahogany, some black and orange/copper hackle and saddle feathers. here is his pic again:

if I use http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator to find out what colours the chicks will be, how would I define his colour?

I'm inclined to think incubator related issues is a valid cause, at least one of if there are more than one cause.   I used to have golden pheasants... a fair number hatched in the incubator would have toe issues, however not a single one hatched under hens or pheasants came out with crooked toes....

Chicks born with normal toes only to have them eventually kink/crook later on is genetically caused.

I hatched all my chicks under a broody and had few with curly toes

I checked today, my araucana boy has ground colour blue/black with some buff (I mean half of his feathers which are close to the body). the visible half is mostly mahogany, some black and orange/copper hackle and saddle feathers. here is his pic again:

if I use http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator to find out what colours the chicks will be, how would I define his colour?

Ahh that tough case bird again! There's too little information on him plus he looks too much like a possible cross between a black and a buff or red chicken. Buff and reds are genetically extremely complicated with many different genes that could be present, especially in the buffs.

That direct page will not work for this bird.. because that page only has options for "pure" color/patterns and this bird is not.

For him, would have to use this:

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

because it is more flexible but you really have to know all the genetic notations.

I thought of something else, is he much older now than in picture now? does he have the duckwing patch or is he crowwinged?

If he is crowwinged, then he is most likely E^R but the second part is impossible to be sure of.. could be E^Wh, e^b or e+ but I don't think the last one is very likely. I would try E^R/E^Wh for his E option.

He probably has at least one Co.. so either Co/co+ or Co/Co Same for Darkbrown, Mahogany,

He is s+/s+

as for the other options, he is the default(the ones marked with a +)- example, for barring he is b+/b+

Back
Top Bottom