Naked Neck/Turken Thread

The eggs did not come from my birds, I got eggs from a friend b/c mine didn't hatch. Changing lead roo, hoping to fix that problem.

did you check your eggs for fertility? my broody hatched 2 chicks only (out of 11, she broke 1) and the eggs were fertile. I don't know what the problem is. last time she hatched 1 only (out of 7).

did you check your eggs for fertility? my broody hatched 2 chicks only (out of 11, she broke 1) and the eggs were fertile. I don't know what the problem is. last time she hatched 1 only (out of 7).

The eggs were completely clear, no veining, no blood ring no nothing after her setting on them, so I know they weren't fertile. After all the boys are gone and I have my two roos in the flock (after today) I will check the eggs (in a week or two) for fertility to make sure changing out the head roo worked. I have never had a fertility problem until this year w/ Shakespear as head roo. He goes through the motions so not sure what exactly is up, but he has acted "off" for some time, not sick, I've looked him over several times no problems w/ injury or illness, but just "not viral"

We had a really hard freeze last night. I waited until the sun was up and the temp rose to 25º before opening the pens, providing feed, and thawing out the water for all my flocks. I found it amusing that each of my NNs drank some of the warm water I'd provided, ate a couple mouthfuls of food, and then headed straight for the sunlight where they huddled together to warm themselves. They looked almost regal and only moved when I finally went into the outdoor chick pen to thaw out the pop door and release the most NN chicks. It was charming to watch all those grown NNs surround the chick pen as if making sure everyone was okay.

Figured out my fertility issues. Shakespear was bad off inside, he was full of yellow liquid, and his liver was really bad and his testes was 1/3 the size of one of the young boys I just did and that boy wasn't even one of the most "mature" acting.

I love the beards! Some of my olive chicks hatched with beards. It is odd because my EE rooster doesn't have a beard, and the moms are marans. They are really cute regardless.

He has the beard just not so obvious. I've had bearded birds like that... not a big beard, with the feathers laying flat against the face. Not always so easy to tell on pea combed birds but it is much more obvious on single combed birds, their wattles would be much smaller in size compared to a true non-bearded. Pea comb reduces wattle size by itself so so those pea combed 'slick-beards' are not always immediately obvious. Until they surprise you with fluffy faced chicks....

Were some of his offspring non-bearded? It seemed most of the 'slick-beards' I had were all heterozygotes... and usually male, but there were a few females.

Back
Top Bottom