Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Since it's Christmass here already, I wish everyone everything best. I want you to eat and drink good, enjoy these days and I also wish everyone to get a good rest because you worked hard whole year.

Since it's Christmass here already, I wish everyone everything best. I want you to eat and drink good, enjoy these days and I also wish everyone to get a good rest because you worked hard whole year.

Thank you! And you as well - Merry Christmas to you! Enjoy your sudden bounty of new chickens!!!!
lol.png

- Ant Farm

I have a question. Once I finish the coop, I'll be moving the girls in together, and leaving the three boys in the tractor until everyone grows up a bit and gets over their hormones. Though it's plenty warm right now (oddly), January and February will likely be quite chilly. The tractor is a bit more open to elements (on purpose, for ventilation), and there is no enclosed structure inside for very cold weather and wind. They've all done ok so far on cold nights with body heat, but with just three boys there in the future, I think I'll need to provide more shelter with the reduced numbers (esp. given their nakedness/fewer feathers). What do you guys think of putting one of these doghouses inside the tractor for them to retreat into on cold nights? (Saw it at Tractor Supply today.) Other thoughts? Just trying to plan ahead...

- Ant Farm

I have a question. Once I finish the coop, I'll be moving the girls in together, and leaving the three boys in the tractor until everyone grows up a bit and gets over their hormones. Though it's plenty warm right now (oddly), January and February will likely be quite chilly. The tractor is a bit more open to elements (on purpose, for ventilation), and there is no enclosed structure inside for very cold weather and wind. They've all done ok so far on cold nights with body heat, but with just three boys there in the future, I think I'll need to provide more shelter with the reduced numbers (esp. given their nakedness/fewer feathers). What do you guys think of putting one of these doghouses inside the tractor for them to retreat into on cold nights? (Saw it at Tractor Supply today.) Other thoughts? Just trying to plan ahead...

- Ant Farm

I don't know for sure about the boys, but I have one Silkie and two Frizzled EEs who crowd together every night in a single cat litter box that I use for a nesting box to stay warm. I suppose if your boys are friendly enough, it might work? All of my cockerels and roosters though, no matter how friendly and familiar they are with one another, seem to prefer a bit of space from one another at night. They won't even roost side-by-side, but have at least one female in between them.

I don't know for sure about the boys, but I have one Silkie and two Frizzled EEs who crowd together every night in a single cat litter box that I use for a nesting box to stay warm. I suppose if your boys are friendly enough, it might work? All of my cockerels and roosters though, no matter how friendly and familiar they are with one another, seem to prefer a bit of space from one another at night. They won't even roost side-by-side, but have at least one female in between them.

Hmmmmm. Well, they are OK side by side now (including napping next to each of there when sand bathing). I REALLY hope I don't need to arrange housing in triplicate for them this early...

- Ant Farm

In my experience, the more room they have to spread out, the fewer fights there are and the more time they have to get to know each other. They're not that different from people in that way....sometimes it's more comfortable to observe from a distance for a while before walking up to say "hello".
wink.png
And....if your grandma's cockerel is able to keep more distance between himself and the other rooster, there may fewer injuries.

x2

- Ant Farm

I have a new rooster that is all by himself until I get the new coop finished. He sleeps in a dog house at night and seems happy with it. It has been freezing here every night for the last week. I think your little dog houses will work for yours. Mine should be roosting by now...not sure what is that matter with him.

Back
Top Bottom