Naked Neck/Turken Thread

So today at the feed store I managed to remember to check for animal protein in the feed... the gamebird feed does not list it either. sigh.

They do have pond fish feed, 27 for a 50lb bag.... it has fish meal, porcine and beef meal plus bone meal. Almost got it but balked at the price and not knowing if the birds would even eat it...?

No fish meal. Turns out the feed store staff are not a fount of knowledge.... very nice folks but no real answers... one staff did say she would try looking into it- feed with animal protein or a bulk source for it.

I spent a good while in the dog/cat aisle at the grocery store reading the labels... almost tempting to think protein is protein after all, on almost all of them the animal protein was not in the top three. Except for kitten food, chicken was the first thing. Is the order really an indicator of the %? I feel like a noob here...
hide.gif
btw- the chickens really liked the kitty food. It's way too expensive as a permanent solution though, 8.99 for a little itty bitty bag..
roll.png
A lot of the "chicken" and "protein" in pet food is finely ground up feathers and some chicken offal and bones.

In some cheaper varieties of canned dog food you can actually see the coarsely ground up feathers.

i have some babies that are sticking in the eggs and dying whats the reason for that has never happened too me before

I have had that happen in 2 batches lately and was wondering the same thing because it has not happened with me before either. I have been doing everything exactly the same as I had with previous eggs. I wondered if it was the weather and pressure changes???

i have some babies that are sticking in the eggs and dying whats the reason for that has never happened too me before

I have had that happen in 2 batches lately and was wondering the same thing because it has not happened with me before either. I have been doing everything exactly the same as I had with previous eggs. I wondered if it was the weather and pressure changes???

Ah, yes...shrink wrapping. It's definitely related to relative humidity, both inside and out of the incubator, sometimes in combination with how long it takes the chick to unzip after it's pipped. I had one poor chick the pipped a full day before trying to unzip, and by the time it was ready to come out it could barely move because the remaining yolk had glued its legs together and to the inside of the shell. I had to choose between natural selection (leaving the chick to die in its shell), or assisting the hatch. I assisted, and now she's one of my best laying hens. But it's a personal choice. There is validity to the perspective that only allowing a natural hatch ensures you wind up with the hardiest (and maybe the smartest) chickens. The way I saw was...I probably messed up something during the incubation process and was therefore responsible for ensuring they hatched.

I have an eternal shrink wrapping problem, I don't even hesitate to help hatch now, if I didn't assist shrink wrapped eggs I would have only hatched less then 10 of the over 100 I have hatched. The eggs have shrink wrapped for me w/ 100% humidity outside and condensation in the incubator. If the eggs have shrink wrapped your choice is to help or let them die, they CAN NOT HATCH from a shrink wrapped egg.

Up your humidity. You might have to add soaked sponges in jars in the corners if using a desktop incubator. Most importantly, do not open the incubator during lockdown. The yolk will provide hatched chicks sustenance for up to 72 hours. Best to keep the incubator in a dark room so the hatched chicks don't bother or harm hatching chicks.

Back
Top Bottom