Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I have an eternal shrink wrapping problem, I don't even hesitate to help hatch now, if I didn't assist shrink wrapped eggs I would have only hatched less then 10 of the over 100 I have hatched.  The eggs have shrink wrapped for me w/ 100% humidity outside and condensation in the incubator.  If the eggs have shrink wrapped your choice is to help or let them die, they CAN NOT HATCH from a shrink wrapped egg.

How can I recognize a shrink wraped egg?

How can I recognize a shrink wraped egg?

With mine I go by hatching progress. I know I have a huge problem with it so if I see the eggs stall for a set amount of time, absolutely no progress, I assume shrink wrapped. (I have lots of experience w/ this so for me it is more a feeling) I bring my incubator into the bathroom and shut the doors, turn on the heater and the hot water in the shower, get it hot and steamy, then check the egg furthest along. (the incubator is opened for a second or two to get the egg out and only after the bathroom is hot and steamy) I open the pip hole enough to look inside. Shrink wrapping is very obvious, the outer membrane is white and just like the word implies, shrunk and stuck to the chick tight and very dry. Before you start to open the egg, candle it (and any others you try) b/c shrink wrapping has a very obvious look in a candled egg that is hard to describe but once you have seen it a few times you will recognize it. If one is shrink wrapped (in my case anyway) they are all shrink wrapped. Any that aren't hatched by that point I "birth" in my hot steamy bathroom w/ q-tips and warm water. My success rate w/ external pips is near 100%, about 75 % w/ internal pips, and dismal w/ no internal pip.

With mine I go by hatching progress.  I know I have a huge problem with it so if I see the eggs stall for a set amount of time, absolutely no progress, I assume shrink wrapped. (I have lots of experience w/ this so for me it is more a feeling)  I bring my incubator into the bathroom and shut the doors, turn on the heater and the hot water in the shower, get it hot and steamy, then check the egg furthest along.  (the incubator is opened for a second or two to get the egg out and only after the bathroom is hot and steamy)  I open the pip hole enough to look inside.  Shrink wrapping is very obvious, the outer membrane is white and just like the word implies, shrunk and stuck to the chick tight and very dry.  Before you start to open the egg, candle it (and any others you try) b/c shrink wrapping has a very obvious look in a candled egg that is hard to describe but once you have seen it a few times you will recognize it.  If one is shrink wrapped (in my case anyway) they are all shrink wrapped.  Any that aren't hatched by that point I "birth" in my hot steamy bathroom w/ q-tips and warm water.  My success rate w/ external pips is near 100%, about 75 % w/ internal pips, and dismal w/ no internal pip.

So if I got it right shrink wrapping is happening when humidity is low and then yolk sticks to the shells making chicks unable to move and hatch. Even thought you described it very good, I can't visualise it, just like you said, I need to see it in person. And that steamed and hot bathroom is great idea. I would never think of that.
So I heard about internal and external pip, but I don't know what it is and would be grateful if somebody explained that to me. Lot of articles talk about it and I can't understand them because of that. Thanks

Does shrink wrapping happen with broodies or isbthat more of a incubator thing?

I think shrink wrapping is an incubator phenomena, -not sure if it is seen with broodies.

Low humidity during Incubation, (as well as opening the bator during lockdown) contributes to it, and makes the chick sticky so that it has a hard time rotating and hatching.

A couple of pictures of some unusual colored ones.

I think this one is a pullet. Not sure what you'd call the color, but
Sire: Cinnamon NN, Columbian with red leakage.
Mom: 1 of two hens, they are sisters out if an EE line hen. A Blue Salmon and what I call a Blue Salmon Splash.
This pullet has blue so one or the other hen us the mother.

This I'm almost certain is a cockerel. I'm assuming a Silver Duckwing. There is a little bit of a red ( dark) leakage on the wing area. I know the same sire for sure and I think from one if the same hens listed above.

@Kev or anyone else for that matter.

Is Silver Duckwing an easy color to add in and work with? What is the best color of hen to put with him.

Quote:
That is my understanding... The humidity keeps the membrane pliable and soft so they can get through, and if after they pip the membrane dries out (if humidity is not high enough) they can't get through, and the membrane can stick to them. You have to help them out.

At least that's my simplistic of explaining it (to the degree I understand the nuances... I'm new to hatching.)

- Ant Farm

So if I got it right shrink wrapping is happening when humidity is low and then yolk sticks to the shells making chicks unable to move and hatch. Even thought you described it very good, I can't visualise it, just like you said, I need to see it in person. And that steamed and hot bathroom is great idea. I would never think of that.
So I heard about internal and external pip, but I don't know what it is and would be grateful if somebody explained that to me. Lot of articles talk about it and I can't understand them because of that. Thanks

Does shrink wrapping happen with broodies or isbthat more of a incubator thing?

I think shrink wrapping is an incubator phenomena, -not sure if it is seen with broodies.

Low humidity during Incubation, (as well as opening the bator during lockdown) contributes to it, and makes the chick sticky so that it has a hard time rotating and hatching.

I suspect a broody would simply push the egg out of the way and let the chick die if shrink wrapping were to happen.

Back
Top Bottom