Naked Neck/Turken Thread

As for shrink wrapped eggs- most of the usual advice has been said.. but I wanted to mention something and see what y'all think.... when I was using incubator, I seemed to notice eggs that internally pipped for a good while and/or merely made a dent in the eggshell- not a hole but a dent where you can't see the chick or anything at all seemed to generally hatch very well, with zipping happening very fast.

On the other hand, the eggs that made external pips with obvious hole or beak were more likely to have some trouble hatching. I started to candle specifically to look at airspace size and many times I was surprised to see eggs under broodies with bigger or different looking airspaces than the incubator eggs.

So I sort of have this idea it's better for the chicks to internal pip for a period of time before breaking the eggshell and maybe the chicks that break through the eggshell "early" may have less airspace for their practice breathing and that way have higher chances of losing too much humidity inside their eggs, drying out their membranes..? Another thing giving me this idea is noticing how the membrane in the airspace area can be dry but the membrane away from the airspace is still pliable/wet....

this is really just my musings...

where is everyone?

I've been stuck at work. This whole "work" thing seriously cuts into my chicken time.
hmm.png

As for shrink wrapped eggs- most of the usual advice has been said.. but I wanted to mention something and see what y'all think.... when I was using incubator, I seemed to notice eggs that internally pipped for a good while and/or merely made a dent in the eggshell- not a hole but a dent where you can't see the chick or anything at all seemed to generally hatch very well, with zipping happening very fast.

On the other hand, the eggs that made external pips with obvious hole or beak were more likely to have some trouble hatching. I started to candle specifically to look at airspace size and many times I was surprised to see eggs under broodies with bigger or different looking airspaces than the incubator eggs.

So I sort of have this idea it's better for the chicks to internal pip for a period of time before breaking the eggshell and maybe the chicks that break through the eggshell "early" may have less airspace for their practice breathing and that way have higher chances of losing too much humidity inside their eggs, drying out their membranes..? Another thing giving me this idea is noticing how the membrane in the airspace area can be dry but the membrane away from the airspace is still pliable/wet....

Interesting......I'm going to watch for this with my next hatch. (Just 19 more days. Did I ever mention that I'm not a patient person?)

TOTALLY agree!!

Mine eat ferment every day, I feed fermented grains.

I ferment wheat only. I forgot to mention that some old people say that wheat helps hens to become broody. (when I say old people someone might think I am young, lol. but I have noticed that I usually say old people when I mean wise and experienced.)
Waiting to see if your chickens puff up like a loaf of bread... ;)
these are not my chickens, lol. I downloaded pics from internet. but I might try it if one day I will not be lazy to make a dough
hide.gif

Last edited:
Not any faster than non NN. It's down to what genetics are in their lines.  

Way back then, the hatchery NN were heavier/meater than rocks, RIR etc but it had nothing to do with being NN.. the other breeds were simply very egg production bred and apparently meat traits hung on in the NN.    However the current NN I got from hatchery last fall aren;t meaty..  much more like a barred rock now which comes as a surprise/disappointment to me but anyways it seems a fair number of us are interested in breeding for bigger/meatier NN.  It seems many other breeds are basically lost to mainly egg production,  but probably with separate lines bred more for meat(example, you can still find meatier white rocks in the overall rock breeds)

Thank you Kev, this helps in deciding on purchasing NN or not. I have a good sized rooster up and coming in my project pen and I'm thinking of sticking with him now. Going to be hatching some of the eggs for the Easter HAL I've kept two roosters to see which developed better. This hatch will include both. I'll separate the smaller out for the next hatch. Although the smaller is the top rooster in the pen.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the shrink wrapped eggs. Completely makes sense and it seems those I help are the ones that have a large hole. Going to watch this on next hatch as well.
On the dog food cat food idea I don't know about Cosco pet foods. I do know I raised two lab/rott crosses for 15 years outside dogs feeding only Walmarts Old Roy's feed exclusively. These two dogs never saw a vet didn't need one. The same can't be said for my inside dogs pampered on the best food available.

I don't have any flour in the house, I am allergic.

sorry to hear that. have you always been allergic or it is a new thing? as a kid I had some bad rush a few times but have never learned what caused it. I did some tests and I only know it was not respiratory. I didn't want to do more tests as I knew it was food. that is why I changed my diet and went for organic. I also tend to eat small amount of everything and hope to win allergies that way. from time to time I have them but not as bad as I used to.

Back
Top Bottom