Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Genetics wise, if a rooster throws 25% NN offspring, is he himself a Nn? And also, in a recent hatch I noticed that none of my Leghorn/NN crosses were NN. Was that just a "by chance" type thing or do leghorn crosses not get NN gene?

there is no barrier in any breed or mix as for NN.

This is pure chance, especially with a small sample number. if the sample number is large, I would suspect there is something else going on, such as non-NN roo also breeding the hens.

I hatch pretty large numbers of chicks every year and it really does match the usual averages bandied about.

Another way to look at it is to flip a coin and count heads vs tails. The chances is about 50% but it can easily seem to skew one way with say, 10 flips. With 100 flips, it will come out close to 50%.

Curious - what does he look like himself? Large muff in front of neck, or smaller muff or just a few feathers? If you get any fully feathered offspring, I believe that means he's Nn.

Statistics call for the following, but they don't always some out with those percentages, as it's chance (esp. if you'r hatching smaller numbers):

NN x nn (leghorn): All Nn

Nn x nn (leghorn): 50% Nn, 50% nn (fully feathered)

- Ant Farm (open to being corrected, but I think that's right)

He has few feathers on his neck and I keep him collared so if there was a spot of feathers it would have grown out by now. With that said, the NN offspring all have a tuft of feathers in the middle of the neck. Rooster is a Black Rooster from Murray Mc....

I just bought another (3rd Turken) adorable chick.I was curious as to what her feathering might look like when she's mature. Any guesses?

my emily and jumbo look exactly like these 2 chickens, lol. but they were totally yellow at hatch.

Both of these girls lay green eggs.
big_smile.png

Both of these girls lay green eggs.
big_smile.png

lucky you!

I didn't have any luck with hatching green egger NNs. 1 chick almost hatched but remained in the shell and died, the others didn't hatch at all and the last one stole bloody rat. and at the end my alina died as well. btw, she choked and probably got scared and had a heart attack. she was very skittish.

Back
Top Bottom