Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Do you know if these traits of hardiness are past on say if I breed NN rooster to non NN Dark Cornish

Really curious about Dark Cornish cross now. They were out of NN but will have more June 1. Better I wait anyways. Hope they have straight run then. Only roosters last time.

NN x NN = 100% NN
NN x Nn = 50% NN + 50% Nn
Nn x Nn = 25% NN + 50% Nn + 25% nn (fully feathered)
NN x nn = 100% Nn
Nn x nn = 50% Nn + 50% nn (fully feathered)

Break down of what you should get.

NN is none to very few feathers on neck.
Nn is big bib/bow tie
nn is no naked neck.

So if you have a NN rooster you should get all naked Necked chicks, but keep in mind they may be great big bibs.

Last edited:
NN x NN = 100% NN
NN x Nn = 50% NN + 50% Nn
Nn x Nn = 25% NN + 50% Nn + 25% nn (fully feathered)
NN x nn = 100% Nn
Nn x nn = 50% Nn + 50% nn (fully feathered)

Break down of what you should get.

NN is none to very few feathers on neck.
Nn is big bib/bow tie
nn is no naked neck.

So if you have a NN rooster you should get all naked Necked chicks, but keep in mind they may be great big bibs.

Thanks Draye I copied and put in my notes. Hopefully they will have straight run next time.

Quote:
FWIW, I have REALLY enjoyed having them, and they are very good at taking care of themselves. Super foragers, super thrifty, and they are the most predator-aware chickens in the yard without being obscenely psycho-flighty. (I'm ashamed to say that the NNs don't always have a clue.). The key is to accept that they are like cats. Then all is well. If you expect them to be like puppies, then they will annoy you (but puppies get carried away by hawks...)

- Ant Farm

FWIW, I have REALLY enjoyed having them, and they are very good at taking care of themselves. Super foragers, super thrifty, and they are the most predator-aware chickens in the yard without being obscenely psycho-flighty. (I'm ashamed to say that the NNs don't always have a clue.). The key is to accept that they are like cats. Then all is well. If you expect them to be like puppies, then they will annoy you (but puppies get carried away by hawks...)

- Ant Farm 

Do they know enough to come back to roost at night if free ranged? A chicken that can handle free range is a big advantage here. However I can't have them flying to the neighbors.

Last edited:
all of my girls are Nn. I have noticed that their talk is slightly different than the others. I always recognize when they talk. another thing I noticed is that they never attack chicks or teenagers while other breeds try to kill them.

Do they know enough to come back to roost at night if free ranged? A chicken that can handle free range is a big advantage here. However I can't have them flying to the neighbors.
My NN rooster is the first one back to the hutch in the evening if the others decide to make it a long day. He has taught my non NN hens to forage. He has also taught them to stay away from the road by about 75 feet.
As far as the Cornish Cross, a think a lot of us are wanting something like that but I am sure it has been done thousands of times and we don't hear much about the result, so how wonderful can the cross be? With that said, true Cornish are excellent foragers and crossed with a NN there should be very good natural traits that have been lost in the egg laying breeds.

My NN rooster is the first one back to the hutch in the evening if the others decide to make it a long day. He has taught my non NN hens to forage. He has also taught them to stay away from the road by about 75 feet.
As far as the Cornish Cross, a think a lot of us are wanting something like that but I am sure it has been done thousands of times and we don't hear much about the result, so how wonderful can the cross be? With that said, true Cornish are excellent foragers and crossed with a NN there should be very good natural traits that have been lost in the egg laying breeds.

I bought the Dark Cornish around Easter. Really like the structure in some of the roosters. Out of 10 I think I got 3 hens. Only one of which happy with structurally. May get more when I pick up NN if they have them at same time. All seem to be coming from MM

You are not going be getting a true Cornish from MM. Legs are too long, etc for real Cornish. They have mixed in other breeds for better egg laying and mating.

As far as only having NN roosters, why do you think a NN rooster will be better than a NN hen? I wanted a rooster specifically so I could use a collar without worry of it hurting the feathers and have not regretted that decision. My NN rooster is like a puppy but he looks down right scary.

Quote:
You mean the Legbars, right? Yes, at least mine do - they are the most "predictable" of my chickens. They go to bed on time, know to go to roost, always "in bed" first, etc. They also hide very well and have good camouflage. I love my NNs, but it took them a little while to figure out it was bed time, and they aren't always the smartest when a hawk is near. If I had to turn them all loose I would be least concerned about the Legbars' ability to survive.

Give them some time - I think they'll grow on you. It does help to think of them like cats, they sort of act a lot like that.

One of these days I'd like to cross them with Naked Necks...

- Ant Farm

(Edit: Sorry, I suppose some of that was a bit repetitive...)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom