Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Keep in mind if you're dealing with gas around chickens that bird lungs are especially sensitive to toxic gas and things like smoke even in open air situations. You'd have to have them all cleared out of the coop and far away. You would not want to use your car, canister CO2 would be best, this way you can control how quickly the levels in their home is rising. If it is kept far too low too long (like with dry ice) or introduced too high with other irritants (like with car exhaust) they are going to be in a lot of pain, panic, and do their best to flee. Good CO2 control leads to them passing out before they feel the urge to escape. It is all very testy, and it leaves all those bodies in the concrete. Wish we had access to expanding CO2 foam like they use to mass euthanize large groups of animals in cases of disease outbreak but it asphyxiates so quickly I can see why it isn't widely available...

I would think if you have lots of rats to deal with in a small amount of time, electric box traps or large drown traps would work best. Drown traps are cheaper, but sadly less humane. You can also use a game camera to see where the entries and exits are during their prime night time hours for good trap placement.

This might make me unpopular but... it wouldn't hurt to invite some bigger snakes to your property! The most helpful colubrids are tunnel hunters, they won't be able to eat mom and dad in most cases, but they'll crush the entire litter against the wall of the tunnel and eat them all in one go. Way more effective than cats, and not damaging to the environment. Snakes are your friends! If the rat's traffic is where you feel comfortable doing so maybe make a brush/tin pile to try and invite one in! Just be educated on your local venomous and be reasonable if you happen to see one, you're not going to be hurt by 'em if you don't get in their face, and if they do decide to make a home there you can always take away their brush pile.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with her younger day photos! Did Phyllis hatch with a beardstache that she lost over time, or did she keep it? Either way would make me pretty happy.

I also don't remember if she had/has beard, but I know that she looked similar overall with that light skin and quite a bit of fuzz.

I feed about 4-5 cats but they are small to help with rats.

I might try the exhaust pipe as my car is near the first hole. I already made some trap with 2 pvc pipes and a box but these rats are so wicked, they simply avoid traps.

I bought my property 2 yrs ago and it already had concrete walks. I cannot break them now. as for insulation foam, rats can bite it. it would be waste of time and money.

The cheapest, easiest and only two ways tgat we have been killing rats are cement and poison. We mixed cement with corn flour and just put them in some bowls around tge place or simply put it in their tunnels if we knew where they were.

Now, when I say poison, we always think about our animals and that they will die if they eat dead, poisoned rat. Now we thought the same thing, until someone gave us this information. In our local veterinary station, you could buy poison that don't "work" after it has been eaten. So when rat eats it, he dies, but when something eats that dead rat, it can't die from it.

Keep in mind if you're dealing with gas around chickens that bird lungs are especially sensitive to toxic gas and things like smoke even in open air situations. You'd have to have them all cleared out of the coop and far away. You would not want to use your car, canister CO2 would be best, this way you can control how quickly the levels in their home is rising. If it is kept far too low too long (like with dry ice) or introduced too high with other irritants (like with car exhaust) they are going to be in a lot of pain, panic, and do their best to flee. Good CO2 control leads to them passing out before they feel the urge to escape. It is all very testy, and it leaves all those bodies in the concrete. Wish we had access to expanding CO2 foam like they use to mass euthanize large groups of animals in cases of disease outbreak but it asphyxiates so quickly I can see why it isn't widely available...

I would think if you have lots of rats to deal with in a small amount of time, electric box traps or large drown traps would work best. Drown traps are cheaper, but sadly less humane. You can also use a game camera to see where the entries and exits are during their prime night time hours for good trap placement.

This might make me unpopular but... it wouldn't hurt to invite some bigger snakes to your property! The most helpful colubrids are tunnel hunters, they won't be able to eat mom and dad in most cases, but they'll crush the entire litter against the wall of the tunnel and eat them all in one go. Way more effective than cats, and not damaging to the environment. Snakes are your friends! If the rat's traffic is where you feel comfortable doing so maybe make a brush/tin pile to try and invite one in! Just be educated on your local venomous and be reasonable if you happen to see one, you're not going to be hurt by 'em if you don't get in their face, and if they do decide to make a home there you can always take away their brush pile.
unfortunately we don't have the same products as you. the rat tunnels are between the 2 runs so chickens wouldn't be there if I used my car. but 1 coop is near so I probably will not do it. I will try to make a drown trap, when it is about rats I don't care if it is a humane way or not. they stole my hatching eggs and brought some disease to my flock so I want them dead, no matter how. I caught 1 only with glue, some of them ate gypsum and poisoned wheat but the other ones keep coming. I left them a mixture of gypsum, cement, corn flour, chicken mesh and poisoned wheat but they didn't come to eat it. I left it in my garden. so I am not sure if they came or not. I will continue to keep 1 of my dogs in a big run where I discovered rat's nests.

as for snakes, I saw one in the next door field but snakes don't come near chickens and muscovie ducks.

The cheapest, easiest and only two ways tgat we have been killing rats are cement and poison. We mixed cement with corn flour and just put them in some bowls around tge place or simply put it in their tunnels if we knew where they were.

Now, when I say poison, we always think about our animals and that they will die if they eat dead, poisoned rat. Now we thought the same thing, until someone gave us this information. In our local veterinary station, you could buy poison that don't "work" after it has been eaten. So when rat eats it, he dies, but when something eats that dead rat, it can't die from it.
what kind of poison is that? I have some poisoned wheat, coloured in red. is that safe?

She is doing well, but quit being broody during my moving and fitting her for the maternity dress.

A chicken maternity dress....LOVE IT!
gig.gif

Snap traps are awesome for killing rats. Keep them out of reach of the chickens though or you will end up with some that have a broken neck. The rats I had were running along the roof tresses so that is where the traps were. One rat down almost every night. There is still one pesky rat that is getting into the coop and refuses to be caught. With chicken the pests are a never ending battle.

Snap traps are awesome for killing rats. Keep them out of reach of the chickens though or you will end up with some that have a broken neck. The rats I had were running along the roof tresses so that is where the traps were. One rat down almost every night. There is still one pesky rat that is getting into the coop and refuses to be caught. With chicken the pests are a never ending battle.

I tried snap traps but caught small mice only. today my neighbors cut an oleander tree so I took the leaves and tossed them into the holes under concrete where the rat tunnels are. if they want to come out they must chew the leaves and they are poisonous. chickens don't eat them. I hope this will help.

btw, there was a horrible rotten smell from one hole I found near one of my coops.

Back
Top Bottom