Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Not all naked necks carry the gene? Can you elaborate on that please?

All chickens have the nana gene they have feathered necks, Naked necks have Nana (big bow ties) or NaNa (small to no bow ties). My chickens are NaNa or Nana. In addition my chickens carry the scaleless gene (Scsc) or my nakeds show the scaleless gene (ScSc). The two genes Sc and Na have nothing to do w/ each other, any chicken can have or carry the Sc gene.

Well, I'm exhausted - I culled 10 cockerels this morning (skinned the fully feathered ones, dry plucked the NNs). I WAS going to cull 11 (including all of the Aloha NNs, as they are small, and I also don't have a lot of space for more cockerels/roosters), but when I pulled one of the Aloha NNs out of the cage and took him to the processing area, something about him (color and shape) made me hesitate - I even got as far as holding him upside down. I can't really put it into words or put my finger on it, but there it is. So, I listened to my gut, gave him a pass and put him back in the pen, and will observe him (I reserve the right to cull later) - he's now the only boy in the 13-week old pen with 9 girls.

These are the two Aloha NNs girls, Grace and Greta:

- Ant Farm

Well, I'm exhausted - I culled 10 cockerels this morning (skinned the fully feathered ones, dry plucked the NNs). I WAS going to cull 11 (including all of the Aloha NNs, as they are small, and I also don't have a lot of space for more cockerels/roosters), but when I pulled one of the Aloha NNs out of the cage and took him to the processing area, something about him (color and shape) made me hesitate - I even got as far as holding him upside down. I can't really put it into words or put my finger on it, but there it is. So, I listened to my gut, gave him a pass and put him back in the pen, and will observe him (I reserve the right to cull later) - he's now the only boy in the 13-week old pen with 9 girls.

These are the two Aloha NNs girls, Grace and Greta:

- Ant Farm
Well, now he thinks he's special.

Well, I'm exhausted - I culled 10 cockerels this morning (skinned the fully feathered ones, dry plucked the NNs). I WAS going to cull 11 (including all of the Aloha NNs, as they are small, and I also don't have a lot of space for more cockerels/roosters), but when I pulled one of the Aloha NNs out of the cage and took him to the processing area, something about him (color and shape) made me hesitate - I even got as far as holding him upside down. I can't really put it into words or put my finger on it, but there it is. So, I listened to my gut, gave him a pass and put him back in the pen, and will observe him (I reserve the right to cull later) - he's now the only boy in the 13-week old pen with 9 girls. These are the two Aloha NNs girls, Grace and Greta: - Ant Farm
Nice job!!

Quote:
Thanks! Unfortunately, I just realized upon inspection that the one I gave a reprieve to has a crooked/wry tail (you can kind of see it in the image) - I had never seen it clearly until now. So much for gut feelings... No way am I doing anything more today - I'll process him either tomorrow or next week, but I won't be keeping him.
he.gif

- Ant Farm

Thanks! Unfortunately, I just realized upon inspection that the one I gave a reprieve to has a crooked/wry tail (you can kind of see it in the image) - I had never seen it clearly until now. So much for gut feelings... No way am I doing anything more today - I'll process him either tomorrow or next week, but I won't be keeping him.
he.gif

- Ant Farm

I'm exhausted just thinking about culling that many in a single day. I think my limit is three. Then my back usually gives out.

Back
Top Bottom