Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Thanks! Until i got him, i had no idea they existed either.
1f604.png
He reminded me of a little vulture.

He was very cute, sorry on the loss. My very first NN a hen named McMurray(guess where she came from..) was one of those very special chickens to me and made me a big fan of NN in general.

It looks like around 3 - 4 weeks is the time to start dressing the nakeds. This time around I tried from the first day periodically and the little one acted like it was dying until this last time when she tolerated it (since accepted seems a bit of a reach!!!! lol lol lol) She is wearing a child's sock.

6-8 weeks also seemed like a good time, put socks on the boys and they walked funny for only maybe.. 5, 10 minutes and that was it. MUCH less drama than with the yearlings lol!

Well, I'm exhausted - I culled 10 cockerels this morning (skinned the fully feathered ones, dry plucked the NNs). I WAS going to cull 11 (including all of the Aloha NNs, as they are small, and I also don't have a lot of space for more cockerels/roosters), but when I pulled one of the Aloha NNs out of the cage and took him to the processing area, something about him (color and shape) made me hesitate - I even got as far as holding him upside down. I can't really put it into words or put my finger on it, but there it is. So, I listened to my gut, gave him a pass and put him back in the pen, and will observe him (I reserve the right to cull later) - he's now the only boy in the 13-week old pen with 9 girls.

These are the two Aloha NNs girls, Grace and Greta:

- Ant Farm

Wow.. 10?! Congrats to you...

The experience you had with this boy happens all the time. That's the one thing that doesn't ever really get easier.. however as I see from other posts, he eventually helped with the final decision with his tail issues..

My silkie hatched out these two sweet loves! They just left the nest this morning. The white is NN and the black Nn, I think.I was surprised by how bare the white one's tummy and sides are! I knew that a homozygous would be way balder but I still managed to be shocked, whoops.

Benjamin Button is doing well now Their foot actually looked awful after being splinted and hobbled to try and correct the curled toes, but given some time out of the bandaging it looks a lot better. There is another egg hatching out in the coop right now and I think it is another scaleless! We'll see.

I agree both of the chicks are NN not NN vs Nn. Can't quite make out the comb type on the cream chick.. if it has a single comb. then it has the 'truly genetic totally bare neck' that floats around in my NN stock, the black chick is NN, but is lacking the whatever gene that takes the extra step and totally removes the bowtie but it is pure for the naked neck gene for sure.

Wow.. 10?! Congrats to you...

The experience you had with this boy happens all the time. That's the one thing that doesn't ever really get easier.. however as I see from other posts, he eventually helped with the final decision with his tail issues..

I have a bcm hen with wry tail. why does this happen? is she going to pass it on her offspring?

I have a bcm hen with wry tail. why does this happen? is she going to pass it on her offspring?

I don't know much about wry tails- haven't read any studies on it. just now in another thread someone said it has to do with a deformity of the spine/hips.

I suspect it may happen with normal spine/tail with only the tail bone tilted over, though... as 'funny tails' is a common feature in domestic animals in general. Chickens can have 'funny tails' in other ways that are not penalized or considered defective in some breeds, like squirrel tail is accepted or even is part of breed standard- it basically is the tail leaning over towards the back.

That said... don't know of any breed where wry tail is even acceptable... so it might really be a negative trait after all.

I don't know much about wry tails- haven't read any studies on it. just now in another thread someone said it has to do with a deformity of the spine/hips.

I suspect it may happen with normal spine/tail with only the tail bone tilted over, though... as 'funny tails' is a common feature in domestic animals in general. Chickens can have 'funny tails' in other ways that are not penalized or considered defective in some breeds, like squirrel tail is accepted or even is part of breed standard- it basically is the tail leaning over towards the back.

That said... don't know of any breed where wry tail is even acceptable... so it might really be a negative trait after all.

thank you.

as I don't breed to show I don't mind that as long as it will not create sick birds in the future. I wonder if the roo had to do something about that tail. I think she had normal tail as a young pullet when I got her.

I'm so sorry to hear that - it's always the special ones, isn't it? Someone one posted that our best birds have targets on their backs - I've never forgotten that. I'm so sorry that that was how your first attempt at processing had to be.

Not sure what others have found, but much of the taste difference I perceive in a Naked Neck is in the skin, so maybe it didn't come through in the soup...

- Ant Farm

What is the taste difference with NN that you refer to Ant Farm?

Back
Top Bottom