Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I agree both of the chicks are NN not NN vs Nn. Can't quite make out the comb type on the cream chick.. if it has a single comb. then it has the 'truly genetic totally bare neck' that floats around in my NN stock, the black chick is NN, but is lacking the whatever gene that takes the extra step and totally removes the bowtie but it is pure for the naked neck gene for sure.
They've both got a single comb! I thought that both BB and the fully fluffed chick hatched with rose combs, but it turned out to just be fully fluffed. I didn't know it could be affected by comb genetics! That is interesting. The little black one has the sparsest bowtie ever, I thought for sure that meant they couldn't be NN, it is good to know that isn't always true.

The other little scaleless pulled through and is doing great! So far no signs of oomphalitis. Hoping it stays that way!

They've both got a single comb! I thought that both BB and the fully fluffed chick hatched with rose combs, but it turned out to just be fully fluffed. I didn't know it could be affected by comb genetics! That is interesting. The little black one has the sparsest bowtie ever, I thought for sure that meant they couldn't be NN, it is good to know that isn't always true.

The other little scaleless pulled through and is doing great! So far no signs of oomphalitis. Hoping it stays that way!

Oh...my...gosh! That is one of the best chick photos ever! This chick is diva through and through! I can just hear her telling everybody off. You should enter this into the photo caption contest.

That is one cute chick.

Pea comb has the side effect of reducing the overall feathering on a bird, not very noticeable on non-NN.. however the difference can be observable when NN is involved.

Nn with pea often will seem to have a small/medium bowtie, close to how singlecombed NN will look. They also have naked areas on the face and between the beak & comb, this pattern is pretty distinctive enough you can tell a chick is pea combed if you cannot see the comb in pic. Some of them can have very naked bellies and legs.. the back can look extremely naked while still wet after hatching.

Rose comb also has some effect but not really consistent.

Contrary to common basic genetic description of Nn having bowties and NN being clean necked... true clean necks are very uncommon, aside from the ones with pea and/or rose combs.

For years I tried to breed for a clean neck with no success.. until an egg trade with someone surprised me with clean necked chicks. Crosses of those with 'never had clean neck' NN stock did not give clean necks, it only showed up in the crosses in the second generation onwards.

Suspect the clean neck requires the bird being NN plus ?modifier of some sort? which seems to be recessive. I have not had a Nn with a clean neck so far.. and I've bred a *lot* of chicks over the years.

meanwhile through all this, the 'never had clean neck' stock that did not have any of the clean neck stock 'blood' never threw any clean necks.. always tiny bowties at the most.. some down to single or two feathers on side of the neck.

That is one cute chick.

Pea comb has the side effect of reducing the overall feathering on a bird, not very noticeable on non-NN.. however the difference can be observable when NN is involved. 

Nn with pea often will seem to have a small/medium bowtie, close to how singlecombed NN will look. They also have naked areas on the face and between the beak & comb, this pattern is pretty distinctive enough you can tell a chick is pea combed if you cannot see the comb in pic.  Some of them can have very naked bellies and legs..  the back can look extremely naked while still wet after hatching.

Rose comb also has some effect but not really consistent.

Contrary to common basic genetic description of Nn having bowties and NN being clean necked...  true clean necks are very uncommon, aside from the ones with pea and/or rose combs.

For years I tried to breed for a clean neck with no success..  until an egg trade with someone surprised me with clean necked chicks.  Crosses of those with 'never had clean neck' NN stock did not give clean necks, it only showed up in the crosses in the second generation onwards. 

Suspect the clean neck requires the bird being NN plus ?modifier of some sort? which seems to be recessive.  I have not had a Nn with a clean neck so far.. and I've bred a *lot* of chicks over the years.

meanwhile through all this, the 'never had clean neck' stock that did not have any of the clean neck stock 'blood' never threw any clean necks..  always tiny bowties at the most.. some down to single or two feathers on side of the neck.

Mayne that "plus" gene hides in Nn that don't have huge bib, but smaller, medium one. Just thinking on loud, maybe we just "made him up".

Oh and I had a few clear naked necks, but not currently.

Quote: Someone on another thread suggested that it was an indication of a possible deformity that could actually lead to fertility issues/difficulty mating and/or difficulty laying eggs... (I can't comment from experience.)

Quote: Ummmm... I don't know - better? Not sure how to describe it, except more chickeny/flavorful and better. I will say that when baking/roasting them, the skin ends up looking/tasting like you have deep fried the bird. (And I don't know about you, but I LOVE the taste of deep fried turkey - just glad not to mess with all that hot oil.)

Anyone else?

nchvac, you may wish to just try yourself and see what you think. I was fortunate to be able to get NN chicken at the farmers market, and compare their taste to cornish X (the other available breed form same farm/pastured conditions). So I got my first NN chicks already knowing I liked the taste...

- Ant Farm

Someone on another thread suggested that it was an indication of a possible deformity that could actually lead to fertility issues/difficulty mating and/or difficulty laying eggs... (I can't comment from experience.)

Ummmm... I don't know - better? Not sure how to describe it, except more chickeny/flavorful and better. I will say that when baking/roasting them, the skin ends up looking/tasting like you have deep fried the bird. (And I don't know about you, but I LOVE the taste of deep fried turkey - just glad not to mess with all that hot oil.)

Anyone else?

nchvac, you may wish to just try yourself and see what you think. I was fortunate to be able to get NN chicken at the farmers market, and compare their taste to cornish X (the other available breed form same farm/pastured conditions). So I got my first NN chicks already knowing I liked the taste...

- Ant Farm

I've got several in meat pin now. I thought the way I read your comment that it was a bad taste. I heard the skin cooks like you explained.

Is this rooster s true Brown Red?

Sire of these two blacks:

Cockerel

Pullet and a Red Pullet:

She's a little redder thanbuff but not a really red red.

I think she must have been out of a hen the color of this one. I'm just using the photo as a reference as I don't have one if the actual hen. This one is a half sister to the suspected hen. The suspected hen was the only one in the pen with yellow legs.

@Kev

Last edited:
My Dolly Mama has successfully hatched out three of five eggs so far....and all three are NNs.
wee.gif

One is a bright lemon color, one is black with white spots on the elbow wings an done is black with a red cap. I think at least two of them may be at least partially frizzled. And I think I've FINALLY convinced Dolly that I'm an ally, not the enemy. I've been bringing her food the whole way along, but today I brought water directly to her as well and even though she initially growled an puffed up, within seconds her thirst took over and she drank for a solid 5 minutes non-stop. Maybe now, at least, she won't attack me when I go in there.

Back
Top Bottom