Naked Neck/Turken Thread

My little Araucana chick that wouldn't eat is doing better now.
big_smile.png
yippiechickie.gif

One of my 5 week old NN RIR chicks was dead this morning. Not only that they ate it's head- looked like it had been cut off. Upon review of the flock I noticed the little white ones butting up to the others, so in their own pen they go and I will let them settle it out themselves, and then it is literally "winner winner, chicken for dinner".
The white ones are a White Leghorn/NN cross. I have had trouble with the Leghorn Cockerels before, but that was over 25 years ago and I forgot they were like this. That time I would come home everyday to find a dead chicken. I finally figured out the alpha cockerel was killing the other cockerels. I was only 14 then and there was no internet, so no one to tell me like now.

These genes are not something I want in my flock. I came in here immediately and took the white eggs out of the incubator I started up this morning. I guess the NN was probably a cockerel and being NN was more docile and got picked on I assume. I have never seen any problems out of this group until this morning and now I am seeing feather picking and all of that foolishness. Oh, the feeder was full so it wasn't a hunger issue.

I think 5 week is too young for cockerel fighting. I have a blind hen and the others are pecking her for she is not in good condition. she sleeps only in the coop and spends all day outside the run but next to the wire fence.

my NNs are bossy, on top of pecking order. even the 2 new chicks are doing well with 2 weeks older bcm who are about 2 weeks older and were hatched here (I bought the NNs a week ago). check your chicks, they might be sick but they hide it till the end. I have been told to give some bacon when they peck hard on each other, but I didn't try.

I think 5 week is too young for cockerel fighting. I have a blind hen and the others are pecking her for she is not in good condition. she sleeps only in the coop and spends all day outside the run but next to the wire fence.

my NNs are bossy, on top of pecking order. even the 2 new chicks are doing well with 2 weeks older bcm who are about 2 weeks older and were hatched here (I bought the NNs a week ago). check your chicks, they might be sick but they hide it till the end. I have been told to give some bacon when they peck hard on each other, but I didn't try.

I went out this morning and noticed one of the chicks not eating. It had all the feathers pecked off its head and is in issoation now I guess that is what happened to the other one and they didn't stop till the head was gone. Now one of the Rhodebars is acting bossy I must have some bad blood in the line. Too young to totally tell if sex related.

I went out this morning and noticed one of the chicks not eating.  It had all the feathers pecked off its head and is in issoation now  I guess that is what happened to the other  one and they didn't stop till the head was gone. Now one of the Rhodebars is acting bossy  I must have some bad blood in the line.  Too young to totally tell if sex related. 

Are they still in a brooder? It could be a space issue or boredom. Give them a large leaves of cabbage, run a string through and tie so it's dangling from above and they have to leap a little to get to it. I also use toys made for parrots like the ones with mirrors and bells to give them something to do.
Hope your little one heals quickly.

My mostly blind hen is doing really well outside. She knows how to go back to her coop at night, she eats grass, and also can eat scratch grains off the ground if I show her where they are. I built a new coop for her and her sisters so they could be the dominant birds in there before I added more. Now there are 8 hens and a rooster in there and everyone gets along well. The blind one even escaped being eaten by a bobcat. I'm not sure how that happened. Maybe her turken sister was protecting her - she was a real sweetie.

Sometimes young cockerels will fight quite aggressively. I think it is worse if they are kept in a small area like a brooder.

My mostly blind hen is doing really well outside. She knows how to go back to her coop at night, she eats grass, and also can eat scratch grains off the ground if I show her where they are. I built a new coop for her and her sisters so they could be the dominant birds in there before I added more. Now there are 8 hens and a rooster in there and everyone gets along well. The blind one even escaped being eaten by a bobcat. I'm not sure how that happened. Maybe her turken sister was protecting her - she was a real sweetie.

Sometimes young cockerels will fight quite aggressively. I think it is worse if they are kept in a small area like a brooder.

my blind brahma eats from a dish only. she can eat grass but she cannot find grains on the floor. your blind one was really lucky.

this evening I found a baby NN with a wound on her neck. I don't know which one did it. I put blue antibiotic spray and hope they will leave her alone.

Back
Top Bottom