Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I still just LOVE the way Zazzle looks. This will be interesting to see how this works out...
"American" line for New Hampshires is not all that great anymore for size, but better for eggs, I think (NOT an expert, from what I've read... and I could be primarily thinking of hatchery stock). The German New Hampshires are simply the American New Hampshires that we gave to Germany after the war in the 1940s/50s, and they did a better job of maintaining the breed, and then folks reimported them. Eight Acres is great (though there is a minimum of 20). I guess it's all about what you consider "American" lines.
big_smile.png

- Ant Farm

That is what I've heard and read on the American New Hampshire's also. I just keep holding out hope that I'll find some goods one day. Not really in a hurry though as I have too many projects going on anyway.

Yeah the hatchery stock seems to have gone towards layer type and losing their dual purpose frame. My first NN was from McMurray, she was huge heavy thing, had to weigh at least 9 lbs, and laid huge eggs. The one remaining hen from the feed store(don't know which hatchery) looks so small, she looks almost bantam size next to my other NN. Great layer though.

@DesertChic Zazzle is just beautiful.

Zazzle is definitely one of my prettier and meatier NN boys, and he carries the blue/green egg gene. Bonus! I'll actually be putting him in a pen with my meatiest girls soon for a focused breeding project. Then I'll do the same with another of my pretty + meaty NN-crosses, Simon.
Put me on the interest list for eggs next year!!!

My little EE/NN is 5 weeks and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on pullet or cockerel. I'm sure it is too early but just in case I figured I'd throw it out there. Thanks!

too early to say. I usually watch the wattles development but in case of EE it is dificult. might be a pullet, time will tell.

Last night I ended up in hospital with my grandmother- she's ok now, btw, but one of the hens last night was left outside- freeranging. I didn't know that- and wasn't even thinking about chickens at the point, dad closed them. All that's left of her are few feathers and blood drops.

Could very- and I mean very hungry cats kill her?

Last night I ended up in hospital with my grandmother- she's ok now, btw, but one of the hens last night was left outside- freeranging. I didn't know that- and wasn't even thinking about chickens at the point, dad closed them. All that's left of her are few feathers and blood drops.

I'm glad your grandmother is ok. So sorry to hear about your hen.
sad.png
hugs.gif

- Ant Farm

glad your grandmother is better and sorry for your loss.

it is not likely that cats eat adult chickens. you must watch your flock now, whatever ate your hen will come back for more. do you have a dog that you can leave near the coop at night?

I'll have to get some updated pictures of Wookie and BAM later. They're now in the main coop with the adults, although still under a heat lamp. I like to move them out of the brooder around 3-4 weeks.

I've been paring down my projects and my flock as a whole in preparation to take on restoring and promoting an old breed (leaning very heavily to either Andalusians, Hamburgs, or WF Black Spanish). However, for our culinary enjoyment next year I will be putting the NN pullets with "Indy":

He's a Blue Jubilee English Orp. Behind him is my daughter's Blue Cuckoo English Orp. We're looking forward to lots of barbecued chicken next summer!

Back
Top Bottom