Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I
@Fire Ant Farm

Lot of nice looking roosters. I dive tgeMatans thing and they're not my type if bird, although I did do a cross with sone EE hens and got some good Olive Eggers.

The New Hampshire is my favorite red chicken. I have been looking at maybe getting some ( a rooster) for crossing into my NN for red NN's. Trying to find a good American line though ( just my preference, trying to stick to American lioness for American chickens.).

@DesertChic

Looks like nice selections for your matings.

I'm thinking of putting on another hatch for myself but a little hestitant because if room. It's looking like this lad test hatch is going to be like 3/4 cockerels and 1/4 pullets. I'll know more this coming weekend when I'm going to do alittke
Gl

Last edited:
Tomorrow is cull day for me.

Hate doing it ( just the mess) but I have a 24 week old Olive Egger rooster that needs to go. Plus I have several junior cockerels from my last hatch probably 10 to 12 anyway that needs to be gone.

Then it will be time for rearrangements for my spring hatch. I think I've finally got it worked out on which hens are going with which rooster. I'll have 7 breeding groups with anywhere from 3 to 8 hens with each rooster. Ill have a total of 40 hens/pullets for the spring if they all make it through the winter. Then I'll have whatever number of pullets from my last hatch that should have started laying by the spring or there shortly after.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is cull day for me.

Hate doing it ( just the mess) but I have a 24 week old Olive Egger rooster that needs to go. Plus I have several junior cockerels from my last hatch probably 10 to 12 anyway that needs to be gone.

Then it will be time for rearrangements for my spring hatch. I think I've finally got it worked out on which hens are going with which rooster. I'll have 7 breeding groups with anywhere from 3 to 8 hens with each rooster. Ill have a total of 40 hens/pullets for the spring if they all make it through the winter. Then I'll have whatever number of pullets from my last hatch that should have started laying by the spring or there shortly after.

good luck!

can't wait for the next season! are there going to be new projects?

Is it common for NN to get picked on as chicks when they are raised with other breeds? I have a surprise NN that hatched from purchased eggs and I have noticed since it's neck feathers have begun to come in they were picking on them. I put some blu-kote on it but that caused them to pick at her neck. I have her separated with one buddy right now but am wondering if any of you have advice on what I can do to stop her from getting picked on would really help. Thanks!

Is it common for NN to get picked on as chicks when they are raised with other breeds? I have a surprise NN that hatched from purchased eggs and I have noticed since it's neck feathers have begun to come in they were picking on them. I put some blu-kote on it but that caused them to pick at her neck. I have her separated with one buddy right now but am wondering if any of you have advice on what I can do to stop her from getting picked on would really help. Thanks!

Unfortunately this does sometimes happen. Most of the time the impact is pretty minor and the chicks heal quickly. I've only had one incident that was so bad that I actually had to remove the chick and keep her completely isolated until she healed. They picked off nearly her entire skull cap.
This is what she looked like AFTER healing for a few weeks:

Blu-kote simply wasn't enough to keep them from pecking at her. Even Desitin...yes, the diaper ointment...wasn't enough of a deterrent. They could see the blood even through that nasty white paste. Temporary isolation was the only solution. I've raised dozens of NNs and this was the only and only case in which I had to isolated a chick for being picked on so severely.

Oh...and this is my lovely Rue today...in her mixed flock:

She's one of my sweetest birds and one of my most consistent layers.

Got a few pictures today.

1st is my Blue Birchen:

Cinnamon NN rooster out of a Blue Red NN hen. Yes there were other hens in the run but none other could produce blue.

Next is the Birchen hen:

Golden Partridge rooster, mother could have been 1 of three hens the Blue Red NN hen above or one of the two Black Gold NN hens. Blue Red was a half sister to the 2 Black Gold hens. This one is about a month and a half younger than the Blue Birchen above.

Lastly: although not naked necked both parents were, but both had humongous bow ties.

Same hen. 2 shots. This one turned out Mottled. Neither parent was Mottled but oblivious carried Mottled, both shared the same grandpa who was a Mottled carrier. She has a full sister that is s dark blue and carry the EE cheek beard. Sure was the Blue Cream Partridge NN rooster and the mother was my Blavk NN hen.

Here's my break down for my Spring hatching.

What I have:
I have 7 runs:

1) I have a Cinnamon(Columbian with Red Leakage) Naked Neck rooster, he has 4 hens in with him. All are Partridge colored (2 are mottled). Trying for more Silver Partridges.

2) I have a Spangled Aloha rooster over 3 hens. My Mottled Partridge hen, a Blue Gold NN hen and my Silver Partridge green egg layer. I chose these three for him so that I can tell which egg is which.

3) This run has a Silver Partridge rooster ( note here I was calling him a Cream Partridge, but closer inspection reveals that he's silver with red leakage) with Red. He has a total of 6 hens with him, a mix of colors. Mostly trying to get green egg layers from these most all the hens carry EE blood. The rooster hatched from a green egg.

4) This runs has a Golden Partridge rooster in with a Birchen Crossbred hen ( not NN), a Black NN hen and a Blue NN hen, 2 Golden Birchen NN hens, a Blue Gold NN hen and Silver Partridge hen. Working for Silver Partridges, Partridges and Birchern, Gold Birchen.j

5). Red Winged Black rooster I have with him 3 White hens ( mother and 2 daughters), a Blue Red NN hen, a Blue Red NN hen, and the Blue Birchen hen.

6). I have a Calico rooster in this run, he has 3 Red NN hens, a Red Partridge NN hen, the Speckled NN hen, a Birchen NN hrn, a Silver NN hen, and a Black Tailed White NN hen. Testing to see what comes through in the odd colored hens. As always red hens mix the best with the Calico's.

7). A Red Mottled rooster. I have 4 Red NN hens a Red Partridge hen, and a Black NN hen. The Black just because( I've tried her wirpth three different roosters and am not really happy with the color results).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-swapping-page. Check out my Swapping Page.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom