Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Thanks. So here's rooster pic. M&M variety
Any hopes for him he does have 4-5 feathers on his neck. I guess I was thinking they would have less feathers on rest of body as well. I haven't inspected him that closely as he's getting a little protective of the hens and doesn't care for me getting too close.
That looks like he probably carries 2 copies of the NN gene to me. I had a young'un one time ( stool do just not so young anymore) that started with about 8 to 10 feathers in his neck but when he did his first molt only two feathers came back in. I believe now he has none. All his babies are either NN or NaNa.
Electro was supposed to be Electra but he's a roo, it turns out. He gets his coloring from grandad, a Silver Laced Wyandotte. He is the biggest and the first of 4 cockrels of various breeds to begin mounting and crowing at 3-1/2 months. He has a deep resonant crow. Electro's mom Natasha, molting with new pin feathers looking like some crazy piercing fashion statement. As the breed is supposed to be, she is an excellent forager!
Now you are making me want to do another project. Absolutely gorgeous.

That looks like he probably carries 2 copies of the NN gene to me. I had a young'un one time ( stool do just not so young anymore) that started with about 8 to 10 feathers in his neck but when he did his first molt only two feathers came back in. I believe now he has none. All his babies are either NN or NaNa.
Now you are making me want to do another project. Absolutely gorgeous.

I was wondering if they could lose some. After checking as closely as I could while feeding this am it looked as if he had fewer if any. I'll check tonight when I have more time if I get home before it's too dark

Have you guys ever dealt with something that looks akin to bruising on the rear end of a chick?? my buff-ish NN's rear is almost a purple color, and I really don't think they come from fibro lines.... so I'm worried that the little guy is exhibiting symptoms of something possibly contagious (I have my NN and CCLB breeding chicks together, so I'm really concerned)

I've only every had one NN with an apparently bruised butt. She had been knocked from her upper roost and hit the lower roost really hard on her bum on her way down. The next day I noticed the bruise, which covered most of her backside. Beyond that....dang. I've no idea. Do you have a way to isolate her from the others for observation?

Last edited:
Have you guys ever dealt with something that looks akin to bruising on the rear end of a chick?? my buff-ish NN's rear is almost a purple color, and I really don't think they come from fibro lines.... so I'm worried that the little guy is exhibiting symptoms of something possibly contagious (I have my NN and CCLB breeding chicks together, so I'm really concerned)

Is the color showing right on the surface or seems to be coming through the skin? If through the skin it probably is color of the internal organs showing through the thin skin. Some chicks go through a thin/semi transparent skin phase.

There is a label in cornish x lingo for birds with normal skin but their organs/inner cavity are "too dark" for the market, just cannot remember the name right now.. it is harmless, simply not visually appealing for the market.

Thanks. So here's rooster pic. M&M variety

Any hopes for him he does have 4-5 feathers on his neck. I guess I was thinking they would have less feathers on rest of body as well. I haven't inspected him that closely as he's getting a little protective of the hens and doesn't care for me getting too close.

He does have less body feathers, but it doesn't look like it just looking at them. If you pick him up and look down each side of his back you will see bare tracts covered by nearby feathers, but not growing any.

I was wondering if they could lose some. After checking as closely as I could while feeding this am it looked as if he had fewer if any. I'll check tonight when I have more time if I get home before it's too dark

I agree with others- the feathers do a surprisingly good job at covering up the naked areas.

Same for chick down, a newly hatched still wet chick can look extremely naked but a lot of the nakedness disappears once the down dries and fluffs up.

If you really want even less feathers, introduce pea comb. It has side effect of reducing the overall number of feathers on a bird, not noticeable on non NN but has a visual effect even on Nn birds. The effect on a carcass is often not terribly large though, don't expect a dramatic effect most of the time.

the problem with pea comb is it also causes a ridge of skin along the breast bone. it is also why cx and leghorn stock use single comb birds, this skin is prone to breast blisters from sitting down a lot or being on wire.

Well, I went ahead and pulled the young one out of the brooder, it's not great light, so I'll have to take pics tomorrow after they're out and about.

Here's what it looks like pre and post flash (and pre and post poop removal LOL)

Thank goodness. I feel like a dweeb, but I've never seen this in any of my chicks so I was concerned. Thanks y'all.
th.gif

Don't feel like a dweeb. I've never seen that on my chicks either and would've done the same thing you did. Yet one more reason I love this thread and the people on it...full of sage advice and tons of info and always willing to help.

Back
Top Bottom