Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Can I ask an unrelated question? I see the tips and part of the blade of this boy's comb are a little purple. I have a splash copper marans boy (Chunky Monkey) with an enormous comb, and his does this as well (sometimes extending to include the entire point, several points). At first I was concerned about "almost" frostbite (it happened after a night near freezing, and I discovered after the fact that their waterer had spilled in the bedding), but it never sat right with me, because the conditions seemed too mild. He got better, but he still sometimes has this "bluing" of them. Someone else suggested circulation issues - I'm not so sure about that, but who knows. The other three cockerels (GNH) in with him, same housing, have big combs and never show this. My Cream Legbar rooster also has a very big comb, and it sometimes happens to him as well.

Anyone - what is this, and is it something to be concerned about or that I should do something about? I want to say someone posted that they had seen it when a rooster got "worked up"...

- Ant Farm
I have zero idea what the purple comb tips are all about? I wish I did know!

It has shown up in a few of my boys - I don't know if it's from fighting or what? Because it's not cold enough in Phoenix for frostbite?

Possible it's related to injury, as don't have any choice but to house multiple boys together, so squabbling happens now and then, for sure.

Quote:
Monkey is in front - he's the Splash Copper Marans. That's Earl in the back - he's a German New Hampshire. VERY handsome boys and extremely good tempered - I have 3 cockerels in with Monkey in my Frat House (bachelor coop). They like to talk to me and wag their heads at me through the fence.
big_smile.png

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
Could it be permanent bruising? Maybe cockscomb and waddles heal different?? I am by no means an expert however~ since so many other factors were ruled, figured I'd throw a theory out there~

Can I ask an unrelated question? I see the tips and part of the blade of this boy's comb are a little purple. I have a splash copper marans boy (Chunky Monkey) with an enormous comb, and his does this as well (sometimes extending to include the entire point, several points). At first I was concerned about "almost" frostbite (it happened after a night near freezing, and I discovered after the fact that their waterer had spilled in the bedding), but it never sat right with me, because the conditions seemed too mild. He got better, but he still sometimes has this "bluing" of them. Someone else suggested circulation issues - I'm not so sure about that, but who knows. The other three cockerels (GNH) in with him, same housing, have big combs and never show this. My Cream Legbar rooster also has a very big comb, and it sometimes happens to him as well.

Anyone - what is this, and is it something to be concerned about or that I should do something about? I want to say someone posted that they had seen it when a rooster got "worked up"...

- Ant Farm

I seriously don't think you have to worry about it. My boys, especially the ones with the biggest comb, get that purple all the time and they are VERY healthy and very "productive" boys. I've actually watched my boys' combs turn deeper and deeper red and then get that purple/blue tinge when they're really "emotional", whether via sexual arousal, predator alertness, or pugilistic. I also frequently notice it when the boys are trying to round up all the girls in their appropriate coops for the night and the girls are less than cooperative. Frustration of any sort seems to be the key.

Top Hen - Not sure what is going on there? It could be some kind of Dominant White which (from my limited understanding) can sometimes "replace" black.
Or blue? I just don't know?

Blue, which is Black, but with an added dose of the "Blue" gene, takes on spots just fine. I try to avoid Blue for a different reason - won't get into that at the moment - but yes she would work.

I would just be careful not to breed two blues together, or you get Splash, and Splash looks like mottled, but it isn't mottled - gosh darn it I'm getting into it - LOL - anyway yes I think the middle hen would work great but try to keep only silver tailed hens OR silver tailed roos to avoid Splash.

Middle Hen - Looks like a "go" to me. Barring and spots happily co-exist on chickens. However, Barring will take over a flock, and that's not horrible but it's one of those things where once it's dominated the flock, that is the ONLY color - ONLY color you will get! For that reason, I will leave a couple of Barred hens in my flock, but make sure you cull barred roosters, and choose a boy with no barring.

Barred and Blue are both "dominant" genes - so if you want variety in your flock - like not-barred chickens, or chickens with some black spots - just keep it in the hens only and it's fine.

I like a lot of variety of color, so I try to keep it in check.

Ducky appears very Orpington-ish, which is going to chase the spots away. Babies would be nice chickens, just not spotted.

Here is what Buff Barred looks like with spots - you'd have to imagine the Naked Neck:

It is hard to see the stripes on the hen's tail but it's pretty easy to see in the rooster.

Okay, I really like that look!

Here's my primary buff barred breeding rooster, Zazzle. (Cocoa Puffs is his mom.)

I also have this boy, Simon, but I'm thinking of culling him in the near future:

And you're right about Duckie being Cochin-ish. I'm pretty sure that's in her blood, but she's from my first generation of NNs and came directly from the breeder's hatching eggs. She's got feathered shanks and is very 'decadent' in her behavior....quite the little princess. She's not a great layer since she goes broody so often, but she's proven quite good for slower-growing meaty birds.

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, Monkey does tend to get himself worked up, and sometimes paces the fence line of the paddock repeatedly (I think he's eyeing Snape's NN girls across the way). Its funny, he was the first to crow in that bachelor group of four, and used to be top boy and chase the others around. As mellow as the GNH boys are, they FINALLY realized how much bigger they were than he is - and started crowing on their own. Monkey will occasionally act like he wants to herd them or push them around, and the GNH jus look at him like "Seriously?!" Monkey isn't small, but the other boys are a lot bigger...

I'm actually hatching the olive eggers in part to give him some girlfriends.
big_smile.png

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom