Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Okay, I really like that look!

Here's my primary buff barred breeding rooster, Zazzle. (Cocoa Puffs is his mom.)

"Zazzle" would be a just fine rooster to use with this program. What I'd suggest is keep the barred in only one parent - so you don't end up with homozygous barred anything that will only produce 100% barred chicks. Not that barred is bad mind you - it's just you end up committed to only one color that way. LOL. Personally, I like having a lot of colors in my flock! Which you can pull off if you use the right boy.

In my case, I used the barred rooster over non-barred hens, and the barred hens wiht a non-barred rooster.

If you don't have two pens, to keep them apart, use "Zazzle" to improve one generation, and keep his daughters.

But I like his overall look, and his legs look pretty solid too - not sure how much weight he carries? He looks like he might be a little "meaty" or dual purpose?

Monkey is in front - he's the Splash Copper Marans. That's Earl in the back - he's a German New Hampshire. VERY handsome boys and extremely good tempered - I have 3 cockerels in with Monkey in my Frat House (bachelor coop). They like to talk to me and wag their heads at me through the fence.
big_smile.png

- Ant Farm
FYI - New Hampshires pick up Mottling (spots) like a DREAM.

I used a NHR roo (hatchery stock) early on to improve type and size and his grand-chicks were spotted as can be!

So "Earl" would be a fabulous cross with spotty NN hens. The babies will lose the spotting, but it will pick right back up again in the next generation - no problem.

I really liked the NHR influence in my Alohas. Good layers, good strong chickens, helped remove a lot of the "gamey-ness".

Above and below: Aloha x Hatchery NHR.
First generation looks "solid" but check out the white spot on the wing above -
And the dot at the end of her tail feathers below!
That's a little secret "tell" hinting that the Mottled gene is in hiding!

Hen's head is blurred but early pic of a half-NHR with a skinny but super colorful little Aloha.
Babies had great spots but were only 1/4 NHR so did not have a huge impact on size.

Above: A pen filled with a bunch of Aloha / NHR bred stock.
Note the boy that DID end up with spotting!

big_smile.png

You see all the boring solid brown ones and you're like "Those spots aren't going to come back" and then - BAM.

Quote:
I was wondering exactly that! Now that I've committed to WAY more chickens than I had been planning, I got out the pencil and started planning breeding groups - I like to keep families together for a period, with multiple families each led by a rooster. This seems to work well here. I had actually hoped to put Mr. Blue with the GNH girls (once Tank has other girlfriends, maybe his daughters), JoJo with some of the S&G NN pullets, and then Earl with the Aloha NNs. Next thing on my list was to ask about the mottling.
thumbsup.gif

(Where the heck am I going to put all these chickens??!!)

th.gif

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
I'm not going to post photos of all of the remaining hatchlings (that would be a lot of photos), but here are a few that I find particularly intriguing:

This little one has A LOT of silver in the down. My WR/Ameraucana mix (white dominant) is the mom and Zazzle is the day, so I'm really hoping this one will turn out at least mostly white.

And this one I'm pretty sure is a cockerel because of that white spot on its head. (Mom is black barred Bielefelder/Australorp mix and Dad is Zazzle - buff barred). @Kev Is my assumption about gender right?

Interesting color on that first chick. Is it feathering out white?

For the second one, that is not a sex linked pairing- has to be non barred roo with a barred hen. However there is a small chance at figuring out the cockerels and pullets from this. All of the non barred chicks will be pullets because I don't think Zazzle is pure for barring, so half of his daughters will be non barred. This also means his sons will come in either pure barred and not pure barred. The pure barreds have a much larger head spot, this chick has a large head spot so it probably is a pure barred cockerel. But the chicks with a small head spot could either be a pullet or a cockerel with just one barring gene.

It's sort of similar to how NN are more naked than Nn.. BB(for barring) have a bigger head spot as chicks, lighter colored roosters than Bb chicks/roosters plus hens. Due to the sex linked nature, hens can only be B- or b- so they never get a big head spot like on BB chicks.

(Where the heck am I going to put all these chickens??!!)

th.gif

- Ant Farm

In the front yard? Chick grow out cage on top of the shed maybe? Coop on top of the house with a ladder down to a run on side of the house?* Neighbor not using that part of their yard anyways....?

*I actually saw something like this in youtube.. a covered tunnel from a window down to the yard...

come spring 2017 I will be shipping live chicks so get ur orders in

I will be hatching first for my self around march I should be ready to be shipping

and if u catch me early enough u can get some pullets from 2016 spring I got top make room for the new ones as I do every year

I also have reds but those are not available due to a wolf attack I got to rebuild the numbers on red first

hopefully I can catch the next show so I can bring my nakeds to win champion in best of show lol (wishful thinking)

whites

BLR PROJECT

splash

so black its almost green

BUFFS

P.S Kev remember this pullet?

that's the mom for all my buffs

Nava, I want to pre-order chicks for 2017 shipping. Please let me know what you need from me. PM me with details.
I did send you a PM a while back and an email.

To clarify, though, when I "cull" that means I sell the ones that won't work in my breeding program! 

They are happily welcomed as egg layers for genetically "dead end" flocks - where people can't keep roosters so I let those go to pet homes. 

or sometimes people buy them to be eaten if roos - but I can't do the deed myself!  LOL.

When i cull i eat them my self and then i give them to friends or family ready for cookin

I'm trying to get in on the FB Brabanter group, but I guess it's not as active. I haven't dived in to the BYC Brabanter thread yet, at this point. I suppose I may have to, but it is paired with the Spitzhauben and I'd like to keep separate. The jubilee was the closest I could figure to keeping with the colors of the Brabanter. Buff is my next choice. I have a Speckled Sussex roo, so really, I could mess around with that as well to see what happens. Better understanding the breadth of chicken genetics would be an even better start, but boy is that another language! I'm trying though :)
Jubilee is what the Mille Fleur pattern is called on Orpingtons. On Sussex it's called Speckled. Pretty much all other breeds call it Mille Fleur.

Brabanters are a pattern called Spangled (same as Hamburgs). Spangled and Mille Fleur are almost exact opposites genetically.

Jubilee is what the Mille Fleur pattern is called on Orpingtons. On Sussex it's called Speckled. Pretty much all other breeds call it Mille Fleur.

Brabanters are a pattern called Spangled (same as Hamburgs). Spangled and Mille Fleur are almost exact opposites genetically.

I'm realizing that, now, reading through the Brabanter thread. Oye! So I'll keep my eyes open for the black tailed buff, at least. Once I make it through the Brabanter thread, I think I'll be more equipped to ask a valid question about doing this possible cross. It is likely going to depend a lot, too, on how others have worked to diversify the bloodlines available for the Brabanter as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom