Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Oh, keep, or I wouldn't have kept Snape on as main flock rooster. I don't give a diddly do about what a judge might think - as if I would ever show my NNs.
lau.gif

My only dilemma is how may separate groups I would try to keep separate, while trying to add the S&Gs, the GNHs, and the Alohas...

Speaking of Alohas, @Kev and @alohachickens , what would happen if the Aloha NN pullets were crossed with Goodwin, the Lavender Ameraucana with lots of red leakage? Would I have hope for eventual pasteling of the aloha effect (Kev, did you call that porcelain?) or would the black cover up all the mottling/"spots"?

- Ant Farm
Mottling appears on black just as easily as it does on red and buff. The only color that has "resisted" my attempts to mottle it has been Buff-tailed Buff - breeds like Buff Orpington and Buff Rock. I read somewhere that even the most knowledgeable of chicken genetic experts does not know exactly what gene or genes cause the tail to go buff in solid buff colored breeds. My theory - and this is only a theory mind you based on *extensive* attempts to breed buff chickens with spots - is that somehow the genes that create the buff tail also interfere with the genes for spotting.

In horses, there is a spotted white pattern called Sabino, and it has been noted that for some reason Chestnut (solid red) seems to "set free" the spotting gene in that breed - as in you can take two black horses with more minimal white on the legs that are Sabino carriers, and then they have a recessive red baby, and suddenly the baby has extensive white all over the face, up the front of the back legs, even spotting on the belly. So it seems like the color black kind of restrains the white, sometimes, in horse breeds? And red appears to amplify the white spotting? Color breeding is very complex, so this is hard to prove scientifically, and DNA tests for color in horses have only been around since the 90's. Horses also breed very slowly, only 1 foal per year, so studying color on them takes much longer than say, studying color on mice.

Sadly with chickens, we don't have the advantage of DNA color testing. But we do have the ability to produce many chicks to get the color we want, and to do it ethically, as the chicks that are the wrong color for my breeding program still find homes easily, as egg layers for people who don't give a flying fig what color the chicken is. LOL.

So anyway, remember with Porcelain it is, at its core, a Mille Fluer (Gold, black and white) mottled chicken, whose black areas were turned to Self Blue, or Lavender.

To get Porcelain in a Turken, you would need to start with a Mille - but breeding to a mostly black chicken with some red chicken is going to probably destroy the nice Mille colors for a long time. (Remember what a Lavender with leakage is - it may look gray but at the core, it is a black chicken, with Lavender fading out the black to a pale gray.)

I also wanted an effect similar to Porcelain, but what I wanted to avoid, is the "hidden" factor of Lavender - you know, how you can have hidden carriers of the color, that appear black, because the Self Blue / Lavender color, is two Recessive genes. "Blue" is a dominant color - that can not hide - but it creates Splash. Splash looks like Mottled and that can make things confusing when I'm growing out chicks. How could I tell a Splash chick from a really heavily Mottled chick? I need to know how much white spotting is there, so I need to be able to "see" the white at all times. So I also wanted to avoid Blue for that reason.

What I decided to do is work with Dun. Dun is a dominant gene like Blue, which means it can not hide like Lavender. It also turns black feathers gray, but it's a more brownish gray. In two copies, Dun makes a color called "Khaki" which is like buff, but less yellow and more light tan - it's exactly the color of Khaki pants, basically. I have never seen it paired with Mottling, but my guess is when it does appear on one of my chickens, it will appear to be more extensively mottled at first glance.

ANYWAY - it only took me ummm, like four or five years since I started? But I am proud to announce my first fully expressed Dun Mille Large Fowl. While this color has appeared on Seramas, to my knowledge, I may be the first one to create this color on a standard size chicken?

If I were to cross her with Robin the NN rooster, the chicks should be 100% Mille, half NN, and half Dun Mottled with the other half being black mottled:

Imagine the black areas on this guy changing to the same brownish gray as the above hen and that would be the effect. Dun doesn't change red or gold colors.

I was going to do a general post on BYC about this color project later, which is why I just took the photos of the hen.

Mottling appears on black just as easily as it does on red and buff. The only color that has "resisted" my attempts to mottle it has been Buff-tailed Buff - breeds like Buff Orpington and Buff Rock. I read somewhere that even the most knowledgeable of chicken genetic experts does not know exactly what gene or genes cause the tail to go buff in solid buff colored breeds. My theory - and this is only a theory mind you based on *extensive* attempts to breed buff chickens with spots - is that somehow the genes that create the buff tail also interfere with the genes for spotting. In horses, there is a spotted white pattern called Sabino, and it has been noted that for some reason Chestnut (solid red) seems to "set free" the spotting gene in that breed - as in you can take two black horses with more minimal white on the legs that are Sabino carriers, and then they have a recessive red baby, and suddenly the baby has extensive white all over the face, up the front of the back legs, even spotting on the belly. So it seems like the color black kind of restrains the white, sometimes, in horse breeds? And red appears to amplify the white spotting? Color breeding is very complex, so this is hard to prove scientifically, and DNA tests for color in horses have only been around since the 90's. Horses also breed very slowly, only 1 foal per year, so studying color on them takes much longer than say, studying color on mice. Sadly with chickens, we don't have the advantage of DNA color testing. But we do have the ability to produce many chicks to get the color we want, and to do it ethically, as the chicks that are the wrong color for my breeding program still find homes easily, as egg layers for people who don't give a flying fig what color the chicken is. LOL. So anyway, remember with Porcelain it is, at its core, a Mille Fluer (Gold, black and white) mottled chicken, whose black areas were turned to Self Blue, or Lavender. To get Porcelain in a Turken, you would need to start with a Mille - but breeding to a mostly black chicken with some red chicken is going to probably destroy the nice Mille colors for a long time. (Remember what a Lavender with leakage is - it may look gray but at the core, it is a black chicken, with Lavender fading out the black to a pale gray.) I also wanted an effect similar to Porcelain, but what I wanted to avoid, is the "hidden" factor of Lavender - you know, how you can have hidden carriers of the color, that appear black, because the Self Blue / Lavender color, is two Recessive genes. "Blue" is a dominant color - that can not hide - but it creates Splash. Splash looks like Mottled and that can make things confusing when I'm growing out chicks. How could I tell a Splash chick from a really heavily Mottled chick? I need to know how much white spotting is there, so I need to be able to "see" the white at all times. So I also wanted to avoid Blue for that reason. What I decided to do is work with Dun. Dun is a dominant gene like Blue, which means it can not hide like Lavender. It also turns black feathers gray, but it's a more brownish gray. In two copies, Dun makes a color called "Khaki" which is like buff, but less yellow and more light tan - it's exactly the color of Khaki pants, basically. I have never seen it paired with Mottling, but my guess is when it does appear on one of my chickens, it will appear to be more extensively mottled at first glance. ANYWAY - it only took me ummm, like four or five years since I started? But I am proud to announce my first fully expressed Dun Mille Large Fowl. While this color has appeared on Seramas, to my knowledge, I may be the first one to create this color on a standard size chicken? If I were to cross her with Robin the NN rooster, the chicks should be 100% Mille, half NN, and half Dun Mottled with the other half being black mottled: Imagine the black areas on this guy changing to the same brownish gray as the above hen and that would be the effect. Dun doesn't change red or gold colors. I was going to do a general post on BYC about this color project later, which is why I just took the photos of the hen.
I want some eggs from those 2!!!!! Wow! They are gorgeous!
2764.png

I want some eggs from those 2!!!!! Wow! They are gorgeous!
2764.png
It would not be a bad cross. Robin would pull her size down just a bit, he's not a big rooster, but this cross would really "lock in" some of the recessive traits I've been fighting for - like the yellow legs, the bright golden background colors. And the hen is big and stout, so she would for sure improve the quality on the chicks.

I also wanted to point out something that is often overlooked when people talk about Porcelain color. When we think about that gorgeous pastel color, most of us are thinking of THIS:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ac/da/61/acda61247451dfa1168c2e25cd909dd5.jpg

But one of the weird things I've noted in D'uccles, is their Milles tend to have this gorgeous super pale buttery blonde base color. Note the black here - this is not a Porcelain - but look how pale the buff areas are? Like a creamy pale gold?

http://www.backyardpoultry.com/vis/2007/feb/Citroen Millefleur Belgian hen 2006.JPG

Not all Mille D'uccles have this pale buttercream color buff background. Some have a more "normal" buff color:

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/sassy.jpg

I just want to remind that Lavender only changes black to a bluish gray. You would not get that super pale pastel color *unless you were able to lighten the gold to cream*

THAT is why I was so smitten with this original Turken hen because she is the only Large Fowl I've seen with that super pale buff:

To get a true Pastel effect, not only would you need to get the black areas to blue, but also lighten up the Buff areas to an extreme pale butter yellow.

I have heard somewhere that maybe some D'uccles have a gene that causes the cream color?

I don't know if that's true, or if it's just a lighter variation of buff, but still genetically just Buff?

But if you go and Google "Mille D'uccle" and search Images, you will see that there is a lot of variation in the Buff. To get a true pastel chicken, you'd have to also work on getting very pale, very light, very soft golden Milles to start. I have a few hens here who are looking promising, one of the NN's has fairly nice color though I wish her body type was more robust:

However, if you compare her to her mother, below, you can see there is no comparison, Mom is MUCH lighter:

Mom has much paler buff - which is why I'm mulling over trying to cross her with her son to try and see if I can get more Buffs with that super pale color to use in the breeding program, if it is some kind of weird recessive gene that causes the butter-buffs, I may need to linebreed to get more. I still have not figured out if there is a separate gene that turns Buff to Cream. Maybe Kev knows?

Oh, keep, or I wouldn't have kept Snape on as main flock rooster. I don't give a diddly do about what a judge might think - as if I would ever show my NNs.
lau.gif

- Ant Farm
Don't discount the show thing offhand.

A local young man bought a NN Aloha from me and entered in the fair in the "new variety" class at the State Fair and she won!

Apparently the judge was quite interested in her!

I had a friend look into what it took to add a new color or variety to the APA standards, and apparently it was something like at least 3 (or 5?) different breeders working on it for 5 years. So basically, they want to make sure it is not one person's pet project. Then you have to present a pen of chickens that all look pretty much alike - a clear breed or type.

If there was enough interest in a Mottled variety of NN, it would take a few dedicated people working on the same goal.

The tough part is everyone would have to stay focused and not get distracted. Like take the Mottled ones, pick one color to go for, and just agree to work on improving body type and breed type, while keeping the spotted colors, and not turn splinter off and go into spotty NN silkies, or spotty NN bantams, etc etc etc.

The Mille color - the gold black and white combo - that color in particular tends to get obliterated when bred to anything else. Like breed that color to a black, birchen, mahogany something and the color is simply gone - poof. It's a struggle to get it back.

So I would say the best color to focus on would be, if folks wanted to add a new showable Turken color, is work with show quality Buff Turkens with black tails and cross with Mille Turkens here, and you could easily have much improved Mille Turkens ready to present to the APA in probably 3 years?

Other Mottled colors could be added later, because for example crossing Black Turkens to Mille Turkens would give you Black Mottled chickens fairly quickly, but taking Black Mottled chickens and turning those into golden Milles takes much longer.

Don't discount the show thing offhand. A local young man bought a NN Aloha from me and entered in the fair in the "new variety" class at the State Fair and she won! Apparently the judge was quite interested in her! I had a friend look into what it took to add a new color or variety to the APA standards, and apparently it was something like at least 3 (or 5?) different breeders working on it for 5 years. So basically, they want to make sure it is not one person's pet project. Then you have to present a pen of chickens that all look pretty much alike - a clear breed or type. If there was enough interest in a Mottled variety of NN, it would take a few dedicated people working on the same goal. The tough part is everyone would have to stay focused and not get distracted. Like take the Mottled ones, pick one color to go for, and just agree to work on improving body type and breed type, while keeping the spotted colors, and not turn splinter off and go into spotty NN silkies, or spotty NN bantams, etc etc etc. The Mille color - the gold black and white combo - that color in particular tends to get obliterated when bred to anything else. Like breed that color to a black, birchen, mahogany something and the color is simply gone - poof. It's a struggle to get it back. So I would say the best color to focus on would be, if folks wanted to add a new showable Turken color, is work with show quality Buff Turkens with black tails and cross with Mille Turkens here, and you could easily have much improved Mille Turkens ready to present to the APA in probably 3 years? Other Mottled colors could be added later, because for example crossing Black Turkens to Mille Turkens would give you Black Mottled chickens fairly quickly, but taking Black Mottled chickens and turning those into golden Milles takes much longer.
I would be super interested. Just to take a trio to fair and see how they do. Maybe get some interest going for the breed in general out here

It is 5 people to get a new variety added and all 5 also need to be APA members. All 5 should be showing the new variety in as many APA shows as possible. There is also paperwork and the application to process, as well as a fee, which is about $300 right now.
I'm in a group of breeders working on the Gold Laced Orpington to bring it to APA standards and hopefully get it accepted as a new variety in the next couple of years.
@alohachicken I might be interested in helping out with the Aloha NN project. I'm in the process of moving out all of my Marans so will definitely have the room and time. Plus I've about given up on bringing back the Lamona, don't think I can do it before I die :-D

I also wanted to point out something that is often overlooked when people talk about Porcelain color. When we think about that gorgeous pastel color, most of us are thinking of THIS:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ac/da/61/acda61247451dfa1168c2e25cd909dd5.jpg

But one of the weird things I've noted in D'uccles, is their Milles tend to have this gorgeous super pale buttery blonde base color. Note the black here - this is not a Porcelain - but look how pale the buff areas are? Like a creamy pale gold?

http://www.backyardpoultry.com/vis/2007/feb/Citroen Millefleur Belgian hen 2006.JPG

Not all Mille D'uccles have this pale buttercream color buff background. Some have a more "normal" buff color:

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/sassy.jpg

To get a true Pastel effect, not only would you need to get the black areas to blue, but also lighten up the Buff areas to an extreme pale butter yellow.

Porcelain is exactly the same as regular mille fleur, the only difference is the porcelains are pure for the lavender gene. First link and third link are same genetics, other than lavender in the first one.

Breeders can and do breed milles with porcelains for this reason.

The light bird in second link is a Citroen, a gene that lightens gold color. It is a separate color class and not part of the typical Porcelain makeup.

Back
Top Bottom