Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Quote:
You're very far from alone in this, I too was quite confused for a while when I first learned of this chocolate-sex linked chocolate-dun-fawn-khaki- platinum-whatever, whatever, etc.

Sex linked chocolate seems to be pretty good at staying consistent in terminology, at least I have not run across another name for it yet. Dun is way more "creatively re-named". If you see khaki, fawn, platinum, chocolate without the addition of 'sex linked' it most likely is dun or dun is involved- iirc, platinum is dun plus blue on the same bird. again, iirc, khaki is the splash version of dun. As in black/blue/splash, it is black/dun/khaki.

Other times it helps knowing the breed- chocolate in polish is dun, as far as I know. Not the sex linked chocolate.

Quote:
You can eat the bird...you cannot eat the feathers.. but I do love the colors on your birds though!

Tell them the colors on your birds are from super secret and years of hard work.... hehe

I do get you.. there are times I think of how nice it would be to have a SOP line of birds.. just no room or resources for that right now. I'm quite annoyed enough with my birds for throwing the short leg dwarf curveball at me... ha! Getting ready to move those to a pen of their own soon.
roll.png

Quote:
Interesting path to get at your goal. No idea how those would end up looking.. sure would like to see a khaki buff mottled, especially how the black tail turns out on those. I also wonder how much effect it would have on the buff base color..

I'm a bit unclear- did you want large or small mottles? As in, if large mottles is the goal, splash would help some with that- turning the black bar white, making it look like a larger mottle spot. Is it the problem of turning their tails too white?

Interesting path to get at your goal. No idea how those would end up looking.. sure would like to see a khaki buff mottled, especially how the black tail turns out on those. I also wonder how much effect it would have on the buff base color..

I'm a bit unclear- did you want large or small mottles? As in, if large mottles is the goal, splash would help some with that- turning the black bar white, making it look like a larger mottle spot. Is it the problem of turning their tails too white?
No, the avoidance of Splash is because Splash can look like some of the really heavily mottled birds I've hatched, and I just need a clear picture of how much white is REALLY on any chicken - so I can evaluate it properly. It's not that I dislike how it looks, just don't want to be misguided thinking I have a really flashy mottled something, and then go to breed it and out comes a super boring chick with practically no spotting, LOL.

The Khaki might make them look more brightly mottled than normal, but at least the red or buff "ground color" would be untouched, so I'd still have some idea of how much actual mottling is present, based on that.

Khaki would turn the black bar pale buff, instead of Dun or Black, but it shouldn't have an effect on the red/buff color at the base of the feather?

Anyone interested in understanding "Dun" (which like Kev says has been called a bunch of different names!) - it's actually one of the easiest colors to understand in chickens!

Which is why I was interested in working with it - simple and easy is *refreshing*!

Dun is a dominant gene, and it only works on black. It changes any black color to something else.

So, if you have a solid buff chicken, with a buff tail, or a solid white chicken - Dun does *nothing*. No black for it to change.

Dun can be passed from Mom or from Dad - it is not sex linked.

So picture black, as a cup of deep dark rich coffee. On either side of the coffee cup, stands a man and a woman, each with a small container of cream.

If one of them pours the creamer into the coffee, it goes from black joe to a lighter brownish color. That is Dun. Only one dose of "coffee creamer".

If both of them pour creamer into the coffee, it gets a double-dose of creamer, and now it's practically blonde, almost white in color! That is Khaki.

Khaki has a double dose of "coffee creamer".

It's that easy!

And even though that light colored coffee with two containers of cream is still (technically) a cup of coffee, it no longer appears black? Now it appears almost white! (Latte, if you will, ha ha.) Yet even though a latte looks pale and white, you still get it at a coffee shop. That means even if Dun appears brown, or Khaki appears pale cream colored, under it all they are still, technically, "a cup of black joe" - still genetically black.

Dun can not hide, like Lavender. If nobody is holding coffee creamer, the coffee stays black. There is no "hidden coffee creamer" that is going to pop up later. That is why I avoided Lavender, love the look but hate the way it hides, because you don't know who is a carrier so it can throw you for a loop and once you introduce it there is no sure fire way to remove it completely if you change your mind, as there can be hidden Lavender carriers. I just didn't want to worry about that, I wanted the look of Blue or Lavender in a way that was easy to control.

Hope that helps?

Last edited:
Anyone interested in understanding "Dun" (which like Kev says has been called a bunch of different names!) - it's actually one of the easiest colors to understand in chickens!

Which is why I was interested in working with it - simple and easy is *refreshing*!

Dun is a dominant gene, and it only works on black. It changes any black color to something else.

So, if you have a solid buff chicken, with a buff tail, or a solid white chicken - Dun does *nothing*. No black for it to change.

So picture black, as a cup of deep dark rich coffee. On either side of the coffee cup, stands a man and a woman, each with a small container of cream.

If one of them pours the creamer into the coffee, it goes from black joe to a lighter brownish color. That is Dun. Only one dose of "coffee creamer".

If both of them pour creamer into the coffee, it gets a double-dose of creamer, and now it's practically blonde, almost white in color! That is Khaki.

It's that easy!

And even though that light colored coffee with two containers of cream is still (technically) a cup of coffee, it no longer appears black? Now it appears almost white! (Latte, if you will, ha ha.) Yet even though a latte looks pale and white, you still get it at a coffee shop. That means even if Dun appears brown, or Khaki appears pale cream colored, under it all they are still, technically, "a cup of black joe" - still genetically black.

Dun can not hide, like Lavender. If nobody is holding coffee creamer, the coffee stays black. There is no "hidden coffee creamer" that is going to pop up later. That is why I avoided Lavender, love the look but hate the way it hides, because you don't know who is a carrier so it can throw you for a loop and once you introduce it there is no sure fire way to remove it completely if you change your mind, as there can be hidden Lavender carriers. I just didn't want to worry about that, I wanted the look of Blue or Lavender in a way that was easy to control.

Hope that helps?

Okay....that decides it. You and @Kev need to collaborate on writing a book on chicken color genetics for the average chicken lover. I'll even pre-pay for the first copy...signed, of course.
wink.png

Dun is a dominant gene, and it only works on black.  It changes any black color to something else.  

So, if you have a solid buff chicken, with a buff tail, or a solid white chicken - Dun does *nothing*.  No black for it to change. 

So picture black, as a cup of deep dark rich coffee.  On either side of the coffee cup, stands a man and a woman, each with a small container of cream.

If one of them pours the creamer into the coffee, it goes from black joe to a lighter brownish color.  That is Dun.  Only one dose of "coffee creamer".

If both of them pour creamer into the coffee, it gets a double-dose of creamer, and now it's practically blonde, almost white in color!  That is Khaki.  

It's that easy!  

And even though that light colored coffee with two containers of cream is still (technically) a cup of coffee, it no longer appears black?  Now it appears almost white! (Latte, if you will, ha ha.) Yet even though a latte looks pale and white, you still get it at a coffee shop.  That means even if Dun appears brown, or Khaki appears pale cream colored, under it all they are still, technically, "a cup of black joe" - still genetically black.    

Dun can not hide, like Lavender.  If nobody is holding coffee creamer, the coffee stays black.  There is no "hidden coffee creamer" that is going to pop up later.  That is why I avoided Lavender, love the look but hate the way it hides, because you don't know who is a carrier so it can throw you for a loop and once you introduce it there is no sure fire way to remove it completely if you change your mind, as there can be hidden Lavender carriers.  I just didn't want to worry about that, I wanted the look of Blue or Lavender in a way that was easy to control.    

Hope that helps?  
I have many dun birds in my flock,both naked neck and non naked neck. I love the coffee illustration,describes dun perfectly.

Last edited:

It's that easy!

Hope that helps?

That is a super cool description!
Quote:
x3 - I would buy that book in a red hot minute!!!!

I ordered a copy of that big chicken genetics book (Hutt, I think?) - the first time I ordered it, it got stolen off of my porch after being delivered, along with a copy of The Call of the Hen. I got replacements from Amazon without much fuss (thank you Amazon Prime). But I got a huge kick thinking about the thief who got himself/herself a copy of this giant book on chicken genetics.
lau.gif

No, the avoidance of Splash is because Splash can look like some of the really heavily mottled birds I've hatched, and I just need a clear picture of how much white is REALLY on any chicken - so I can evaluate it properly.  It's not that I dislike how it looks, just don't want to be misguided thinking I have a really flashy mottled something, and then go to breed it and out comes a super boring chick with practically no spotting, LOL.  

The Khaki might make them look more brightly mottled than normal, but at least the red or buff "ground color" would be untouched, so I'd still have some idea of how much actual mottling is present, based on that.

Khaki would turn the black bar pale buff, instead of Dun or Black, but it shouldn't have an effect on the red/buff color at the base of the feather? 

I don't believe that Khaki has any known effect on gold-based pigment.

Depending on what shade of buff ground color you want, you could also use dominant white to make the black markings white. It would make the mottles look bigger and wash out some of the ground color. You can see this on Lemon Pyle Brahmas. People also use Splash to get a similar white appearance, but it always leaves streaks and spots of blue and black in the effected areas.

Back
Top Bottom