Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Quote:
The others, yes (it's been driving me crazy). Goodwin had only done it once, and it was to get to the ones that jumped out - whether to protect them or mate with them, I don't know. I'm presuming that's what happened this time - the chicken sitter did find one pullet out and let her back in, but the other two were missing, as was Goodwin...
Quote: There were two foxes, and the one I chased off was quite a bit smaller than the other larger one - that, in combination with the bumbling nature of the attack and how intact Switch was when I found her, makes me think that second one was a juvenile...

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
Guys I have just let my chickens freerange and a fox ran straight in front of me to them- 3 meters from me.

I don't even need to tell you how shocked I was, but luckily she didn't kill any chickens cause she was probably scared of me even more than I was of her.

Chickens are not free ranging anymore..

Whoa! I'm glad you didn't lose any!
Do you have a guard animal (dog, donkey, etc.) that could help protect the chickens?

Mystique is still stand offish, but she seems to have been humbled a bit by her molt (or maybe she's just mellowing out). She's feathering back in so prettily with this penciled look, esp. on her neck (the black is covering most of it on the rest of her body). Notice the second photo, lower part - Snape is VERY protective of his girls, and was taking exception to me photographing her.
lau.gif

And Puppy, after much fretting and pacing around and looking for an escape., FINALLY laid her egg in the nest box today. So that's one more egg I'm saving to set.
clap.gif

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
Mystique is still stand offish, but she seems to have been humbled a bit by her molt (or maybe she's just mellowing out). She's feathering back in so prettily with this penciled look, esp. on her neck (the black is covering most of it on the rest of her body). Notice the second photo, lower part - Snape is VERY protective of his girls, and was taking exception to me photographing her. :lau And Puppy, after much fretting and pacing around and looking for an escape., FINALLY laid her egg in the nest box today. So that's one more egg I'm saving to set. :clap - Ant Farm
Glad she's cooperating. My green eggs are fertile from the NN. Forgot my candler in the barn so I can't tell too well on the others but from the flashlight I was able to use I could see life in quite a few of the rest as well. It's really stormy out right now I'll have to remember to bring candle in tomorrow night. I have a very large pile of wood branches I'm thinking of burying out back as well. It's already had a start of dirt for decomposing but I need to add more. Then fence it off to keep deer out.

Any ideals on how to get better photos of chickens? I can't seem to get good ones without the chicken trying to fly away or run away while trying to get a shot.
I have good results by getting them used to cameras earlu, also, metallic phone cases and charms help exponentially keep their attention on the camera! My turkeys go crazy over my iPhone.
lol.png

Please let us know how it goes - I might try that...

- Ant Farm

Thanks to both! I wasn't aware of such a thing, that's cool. Bet there are others who would like to know how it goes for you.

Will do :) So far it's going well. It doesn't smell like a farm in my house, as far as I can tell
lol.png

Any ideals on how to get better photos of chickens? I can't seem to get good ones without the chicken trying to fly away or run away while trying to get a shot.

Patience, persistence, and a camera or cell phone that takes motion shots.

Yep, having a "burst" mode on your camera is really helpful. Patience is probably more important though. When I go out to take photos of the birds, I expect to be out with them for at least an hour. Eventually, they get bored with me being around and go about their business. Moving slowly helps. It may take some practice too, if you have birds that will ignore you while you're sitting, but take nearly every movement of yours to mean you have treats. It took me some time to get past this with my own birds
lol.png

Mystique is still stand offish, but she seems to have been humbled a bit by her molt (or maybe she's just mellowing out). She's feathering back in so prettily with this penciled look, esp. on her neck (the black is covering most of it on the rest of her body). Notice the second photo, lower part - Snape is VERY protective of his girls, and was taking exception to me photographing her.
lau.gif

And Puppy, after much fretting and pacing around and looking for an escape., FINALLY laid her egg in the nest box today. So that's one more egg I'm saving to set.
clap.gif

- Ant Farm

LOVE that penciling. I have a few penciled girls too. It's such a unique look.

@Kev , can you explain pencilling genetics again? (In that way you do that we can understand, I mean?)
lol.png

- Ant Farm

wink.png
You ready for a long sit down and read?

Pencilling just needs the Pg(pencilling) gene. Whew, done!

not quite done- it really needs just the Pg gene without certain other genes to disrupt it. It's rather easily affected by what else the bird has. I'll be very good and give only one example of what 'messes; with pencilling- Co, for columbian.. Tank, Puppy have it- it is why they are clear bodied with black tail. Mystique is rather unusual for a hatchery NN lacking this Co gene actually.

How did I do?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom