Naked Neck/Turken Thread

love.gif
There you go...playing the enabler again. See those birds, I will DEFINITELY be crossing my NNs with my Dorkings. I love this look!

LOL! Any pics of the dorkings? the name makes me giggle by the way....

Me, too!

BTW, @Kev , I found myself wondering... any breeding issues with your short legged chickens? I know the Dark Cornish can sometimes...

- Ant Farm

Not sure yet, only got 6 short legged for the first time ever this year and all are pullets- why I was thinking sex linked dwarfism at first. The average sized cockerel they were with pre-move bred them without problems. Their shortish legged father had excellent fertility.... It will be interesting to see how a short legged roo manages.

The Cornish have other issues besides short legs- the proportions in some lines can make it very awkward for them to breed. Low set with extremely wide bodies and legs so far apart they had a distinctive walk. Not sure if any one still does this, 'back in the old days'
old.gif
there were all sorts of fertility tips such as putting tires in their run.. hen would get in middle of the tire and rooster jumps on and successfully breeds her, well at least the eggs started to come up fertile after the tire trick, ha. Another very common advise was either no perches or perches no more than two feet high maximum or they would damage their legs coming off the roost.

as far as I know, other short leg breeds don;t seem to have so much fertility problems besides the creeper gene killing the homozygous embryos. @DesertChic are dorkings known for breeding issues?

You wanted pictures, and everyone got tons of BOSS this evening (it's getting cold tonight), soooo...

Two of Switch, tried to catch the edging on her feathers and her red head.

And for fun - I found this in the Tank/GNH coop today. This whopper weighed 90 grams (3.17 oz).
ep.gif

I am thinking that there's a chance that the single egg I got from the NN coop MIGHT have been Switch instead of Puppy. It looks slightly different, and I think she's the only other one in any shape to lay (and her comb is all red like Puppy's). I guess we'll see if it hatches!
- Ant Farm

Pictures! Switch probably is birchen. It's 'normal' for them to have that edging. But we will see what come out of the eggs...

it is fun showing double yolker eggs to non chicken people, it stuns them so much ha!

Quote:
Thanks - yes we shall see. Interestingly, the fox attack sort of gave her a mandatory early "molt" so she's been looking fantastic. I don't know if Snape is covering her or not - before the attack, she was almost bare backed from all the breeding, she was a favorite. But after she spent about a week in the hospital pen after the fox attack, he's not really bred her a lot, and little back wear. We'll see.

Finally got a scale.. first attempt at weighing... chicks are 4 1/2 weeks..

Nice!
clap.gif

- Ant Farm

Thanks to you and other commenters. Truth is.. I am not sure what to do with them.. goal is to test the genetics. My current guess is maybe sex linked dwarf passed on via the freedom rangers- their father was a freedom ranger- black ranger cross. He has kinda short looking legs but not excessively short like these- here he is: Bred him with a new hen last fall.. to my surprise none of the chicks had short legs. Maybe not enough chicks, maybe the dwarf source really was a NN hen he was with previously.. But no short legs or dwarfs in the NN side for many generations.. One way to test is by breeding an unrelated rooster with those dwarf hens, if this throws dwarfs that will be a huge surprise and may mean it is a new mutation. Already have plans to breed the rooster above with other hens- he is very nice and big meaty bird yet he is not a pig, Eats very little actually. This plan will also basically work as further evidence if he has the gene or not and if it is a new mutation or not.. sex linked dwarf is not a new mutation and some broiler/layer breeder stocks have the sex linked dwarf to reduce space and save on feed.. because they can be used in crosses to throw full size layers or broilers for the market.
Kev this has me wanting to start a new project. I have already done a search for short legged birds with the creeper gene. Found cuckoo scots dumpies at Sandhill Preservation Center.They have 2 flocks,one flock are from the "correct flock" that came with yellow legs instead of the correct white legs.They are offering these this year and I believe they are calling them "American dumpies ".Looking into placing an order so I can play around with these and adding nn to the mix. Would like to know where you got your broilers?I have made a few fun crosses in the past using broiler breeder hens.Would like to have a go at it again and maybe luck up and get a shorty/creeper. Would like to talk to you more about it and get your feedback.

I've been taking pictures the last couple of days because we've had a fairly heavy snow that makes nice backdrops for pictures. Plus, since we don't get a lot of snow the chickens are slightly terrified of stepping on it which means they stay in place for pictures. It's a win-win situation.

Here are my NN girls, Wookie (black-tailed red) and BAM (black with red):

And some close-ups of BAM (@Fire Ant Farm does Switch look like her?):

I also took pictures of some of my non-NN birds:

Sire of all of the below crosses, Blue Mille Fleur OEGB:

Pullet out of a Salmon Faverolle hen:

Her left upper eyelid was injured as a chick and never grew back together, so she has a gap.

And her full brother (same cross, different hatch date):

Full brothers out of a Silver Spangled Hamburg hen:

Cockerel out of a Silver Spangled Hamburg x Welsummer hen:

His mother:

Just wanted to say something to you guys.

Some of you probably know that I don't have any predators here except rats and foxes that started to show up last year.

Well some very smart people got me really disapointed and miserable feeling. Now not only I am concerned about my chickens, but also about kids, pets and everybody actually.

They let coyotes out to nearby woods...
Now they have come into the woods behind my house.

Tonight was the first time I heard something like that. It was non the less scary. It was something we could only hear on tv and films and now it is happening right next to us. Our dogs are all crazy because of this and bark all night and don't sleep. Just like us.

Just wanted to share this very disturbing thing that happend to us lately.

Last edited:
I've been taking pictures the last couple of days because we've had a fairly heavy snow that makes nice backdrops for pictures. Plus, since we don't get a lot of snow the chickens are slightly terrified of stepping on it which means they stay in place for pictures. It's a win-win situation.

Here are my NN girls, Wookie (black-tailed red) and BAM (black with red):

And some close-ups of BAM (@Fire Ant Farm does Switch look like her?):

I also took pictures of some of my non-NN birds:

Sire of all of the below crosses, Blue Mille Fleur OEGB:

Pullet out of a Salmon Faverolle hen:

Her left upper eyelid was injured as a chick and never grew back together, so she has a gap.

And her full brother (same cross, different hatch date):

Full brothers out of a Silver Spangled Hamburg hen:

Cockerel out of a Silver Spangled Hamburg x Welsummer hen:

His mother:

Beautiful birds! And yes, Switch looks a lot like your BAM - is she black all over her body except that edging in the front/neck and her red head? That's like Switch.

Some of you probably know that I don't have any predators here except rats and foxes that started to show up last year.

Well some very smart people got me really disapointed and miserable feeling. Now not only I am concerned about my chickens, but also about kids, pets and everybody actually.

Tonight was the first time I heard something like that. It was non the less scary. It was something we could only hear on tv and films and now it is happening right next to us. Our dogs are all crazy because of this and bark all night and don't sleep. Just like us.

I'm so sorry. I ended up having to fence my property in securely (at great expense) - dogs, coyotes, etc. Still have to deal with the stuff that climbs, and foxes can get through gaps in the fence, though.

hugs.gif

Sorry to hear that they've turned more predators loose on you. Keep them chickens safe.

Back
Top Bottom