Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Will anyone here sell/ship eggs? I'm in Indiana.

I think @DesertChic does. I may after I check fertility in the spring.

I do and will, but I just disassembled all of my breeding pens and converted them to grow-out pens/nurseries for the chicks I hatched. I've got 3 NN roosters (and one Bielefelder rooster) free-ranging with all of my hens. I know for a fact that several of those girls are laying fertile eggs, but haven't checked all of them recently. @Carole AM , are you looking for particular colors, or do you like variety?

8 Egg Cake:
3 cups sugar
1/2 cups butter
8 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp lemon or vanilla extract
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind ( optional)

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift flour and baking soda together twice. Add 2 cups flour then stir in 1/2 cup of milk. Gradually add remaining flour and milk. Mix well and pour batter into greased 10" tube pan.

Bake in a preheated oven @ 325 egree oven until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. (About 60 minutes).

*I used Almond extract, I was out of vanilla.
* I didn't use the lemon peel.
* it took about 65 minutes in my oven, and since I dont have a tube pan I used my 9 x 13 casserole.

Last edited:
8 Egg Cake:
3 cups sugar
1/2 cups butter
8 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp lemon or vanilla extract
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind ( optional)

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift flour and baking soda together twice. Add 2 cups flour then stir in 1/2 cup of milk. Gradually add remaining flour and milk. Mix well and pour batter into greased 10" tube pan.

Bake in a preheated oven @ 325 egree oven until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. (About 60 minutes).

*I used Almond extract, I was out of vanilla.
* I didn't use the lemon peel.
* it took about 65 minutes in my oven, and since I dont have a tube pan I used my 9 x 13 casserole.

I just may have to try this the next time I have extra eggs. I thought I did this past weekend, but I sold 18 dozen in two days and now only have pullet eggs for my family to eat.
smile.png

Quote:
My crowd loves it. Over half of it was gone. My wife thinks that some kind of nuts in it would be good. Might have to try that on another occasion.

Quote:
I've hatched a few with this coloration, they turn out Delaware patterned. In fact there was a full brother to my Cinnamon hatched the same time as him

Are naked necks a little more delicate than other breeds when they're chicks? My two have spent pretty much most of their time under the heat plate and I made the mistake of raising it last night, possibly killing one of them :( Now the second one is lethargic and not doing much, but will still lift its head and peep a bit when moved. I've moved him out of the brooder and have him in a heating pad hut to try to give him some peace and possible extra warmth, but I'm fairly certain I'm going to lose him too. I put a little bit of nutridrench on his beak about an hour and a half ago but maybe it wasn't enough. *sigh*

Are naked necks a little more delicate than other breeds when they're chicks? My two have spent pretty much most of their time under the heat plate and I made the mistake of raising it last night, possibly killing one of them :( Now the second one is lethargic and not doing much, but will still lift its head and peep a bit when moved. I've moved him out of the brooder and have him in a heating pad hut to try to give him some peace and possible extra warmth, but I'm fairly certain I'm going to lose him too. I put a little bit of nutridrench on his beak about an hour and a half ago but maybe it wasn't enough. *sigh*

Oh no! I'm so sorry. No, it has not been my general experience that NN chicks are at all delicate - mine have been generally quite hardy.

Back
Top Bottom