Naked Neck/Turken Thread

That was my thought EXACTLY!!! Folks describe ice lasting days in these things, outside. I've tried ice in regular waterers, but it doesn't last long at all before the water starts to become warm.
sickbyc.gif
I am using information I got on the internet from folks who have adapted these coolers for home brewing (you can google "Igloo cooler mashtun" and find lots of info), so they had already figured out for me how to remove the spigot and how large that hole is and the size of the pipe nipple needed, and there were how-tos regarding washers and other bits of hardware. Once I figure it out, I will post in detail how I did it in case someone wants to try it (maybe in a separate article?). I plan on having it worked out well before it starts to get hot here. My property is sloped, so I am suspecting that my real hurdle may be building good strong level stands for the coolers to have them elevated - it's what runs through my mind while I am sitting at traffic lights and waiting for the elevator...
lol.png

- Ant Farm

So uhhh...speaking of these igloo cooler waterers...

We made one. Linked in my siggy.

We've actually made modifications to make it a LOT easier to use. We have to build out a second one and I hope to get pics of the process and materials we used. I LOVE the Igloo! Last summer, our coop was in more sun than it probably should have been in. Water from the spigot comes out chilly from the well and with just 9 birds, the 5 gallons would last roughly a week or so. Water stayed cool without any addition of ice :)

Quote:
OMG - SUPER!!! (Figures that your husband brews...) Based on the info I found though (under the mashtun search), I'm going try to use a 3/4" pipe nipple with washers, not 1/2" - that might be why all that silicone was needed for yours.
hu.gif
I won't really know until I get it all together and start playing with it, though. I'm using 3/4" fittings, and may put in one of those "quick connect" fittings so I can disconnect the cooler from the rest of the set up easily (for cleaning, etc.). But yeah, this is a really great solution for water during our hot summers, and adaptable to whatever tubing/delivery people prefer.
thumbsup.gif

I second the EE feather picking thing. The only serious issue I've ever had w/ feather picking was w/ EE

X 3. And my EE taught one of my Australorps to feather pick.
he.gif
Layla was NEVER a feather picker until the EEs introduced the others to it. I had to isolate Layla for weeks to break her of it, and I'm not convinced she's really stopped completely.

1. The worst feather pickers I've ever had were the Production Reds from Cackle. Never had problems with the EE. I did have some from a Polish line once.

Wyandottes were the worst for me in high school.... one literally picked her sister's tail bloody in the sale pen at the fair. :( I was so relieved to get rid of those. No other breeds have done it but them so far.

We are having nice weather here and I took a few photos of some of the girls!
D.gif

Nice. I'm getting ready to put on another hatch.
I really need to get more eggs from you so I can get a few more Alohas going. I'm still getting a few spotted ones, but it seems I'm kind of at a stand still getting the mottling with the breedings I have going on right now.

Back
Top Bottom