Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Took another look at the S&G chicks again. Not sure it was ammonia, I think I was stretching. But there is "something" wrong.

To put a picture to words, here's one of them next to one of the hardy ones. Same genetics, same age, same shipment.

Edit to add - they are almost 4 weeks old.

Last edited:
Took another look at the S&G chicks again. Not sure it was ammonia, I think I was stretching. But there is "something" wrong.

To put a picture to words, here's one of them next to one of the hardy ones. Same genetics, same age, same shipment.

Wonder if it's possible some of Dunlap's stock isn't S&G?
I never had any weak or unexplained deaths with hatchery chicks until a Sandhill shipment. And it wasn't immediately/early like you'd expect, was a couple weeks later, had a bunch die, was weird thought they were all doomed but none of the rest had any problems.

maybe not same genetics? with mixed breeds you never know. this little chick looks healthy to me but you know better.

I bought all of my NNs from the same person and I don't have 2 that look the same. the biggest one was 5+ kg and the smallest one 2,7 kg.

Bummer hopefully the larger ones will do well for you.

Last night was my first candling of the eggs I decided to hatch. ALL of my NN eggs are really fertile. I don't recall ever seeing that much activity in so many eggs during a candling. But....none of the eggs I set from my meaty cx girl are developing. None of them...even though I watched her get mated multiple times. It looks like I'm going to have to lock the girl in with a rooster for a while and try again later.
hmm.png

But YAY! More NNs!!!
wee.gif

I'm getting 2 NN hens Today! I will probably sell them in May as they are 3 years old. But I can't wait to see their personalities

Back
Top Bottom