Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Ok I am guilty of letting some Roos stay longer than they should...... lol I have a white leghorn thst is 6ish. But the breeding thing is new to me, only in the last year have I had more than one roo to choose from. And now I find there are several nice looking ones...... sigh always something

Ok I am guilty of letting some Roos stay longer than they should...... lol I have a white leghorn thst is 6ish. But the breeding thing is new to me, only in the last year have I had more than one roo to choose from. And now I find there are several nice looking ones...... sigh always something
I have read that some want to breed from the oldest, they are the healthiest.

I have decided to keep roos 1-2 years only unless a top pure breed breeder. we shall see if I can do it, lol.

lenny was one of my favourites but we all know chickens shouldn't die of an old age. hard to accept but true.

Well....I've got a few that will die of old age unless they get injured or ill and I need to perform a mercy culling. Bosch, my Bielefelder rooster is definitely a pet, as is Chewey, my sole EE rooster. Those boys literally run across the yard just to be picked up and snuggled. They're good roosters, treat the girls well, train the young cockerels how to behave, and are perfectly content to snuggle with me (and even my husband) for hours if we let them. Heck, Bosch even lays down at the screened patio sliding door and "talks" to my dogs.

I have read that some want to breed from the oldest, they are the healthiest.

Actually, in many of those ancient poultry breeding books I have, it's strongly encouraged to breed the older roosters with the younger pullets. The idea is that around two years of age, you basically know exactly what that boy has to offer because they'll have reached full maturity. I know my young pullets ALL favor my older rooster, Bosch and he essentially taught the girls how they should expect to be treated. When I released one of my younger breeding rooster, Tank, into the yard to start mingling, those pullets ganged up on him and beat him up, sending him running. Two days later he had modified his behavior and was successfully wooing them, and one finally squatted for him.

Among my Silver Grey Dorking breeding friends, they adamantly frown upon breeding roosters who aren't at least 18 months old and preferrably two years of age or older. These are long-time, old-school breeders from the U.S., Australia and England.

Older roosters still have much to offer in my opinion.

Off topic, but of my 13 chicks (9 different breeds from a hatchery) who are being raised by my broody, this one is ridiculously friendly... the others only want me for food. I love her.

Attachments

• IMG_2685.JPG
    IMG_2685.JPG
    434.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2686.JPG
    IMG_2686.JPG
    551.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2688.PNG
    IMG_2688.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom