Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Any new NN chick's planned for this month? How is everyone's flock's doing?

I'm still culling down my numbers....and just itching to perform another hatch. I've informed my husband that I have to hold on to my biggest Nn rooster, Rocky, for at least one breeding because of his bloodline and genetics. But to breed him....I've got a couple dozen birds to butcher first. *Sigh*

So...next breeding will be Rocky with my largest NN and Nn hens, who will hopefully be able to withstand his weight. (Last weigh-in was 13 lbs, but I think he's lost a little mass while molting in isolation.) Rocky is also a strong carrier of the blue egg gene, getting it from both parents and three of four grandparents. :)

I'm still culling down my numbers....and just itching to perform another hatch. I've informed my husband that I have to hold on to my biggest Nn rooster, Rocky, for at least one breeding because of his bloodline and genetics. But to breed him....I've got a couple dozen birds to butcher first. *Sigh*

So...next breeding will be Rocky with my largest NN and Nn hens, who will hopefully be able to withstand his weight. (Last weigh-in was 13 lbs, but I think he's lost a little mass while molting in isolation.) Rocky is also a strong carrier of the blue egg gene, getting it from both parents and three of four grandparents. :)
I’m sure you’ve posted photos of him but would you post one so I can see what he looks like?
He sounds amazing lol!
13 lbs! :eek:
May I ask what is the difference between a NN and Nn?

I don't have any mature Bresse roosters right now for hatching out any more all white birds. I have 5 total solid white Nn hens, three are still young pullets that haven't started laying yet. I've decided that outside of keeping the pure line of white Bresse, white birds get their feathers trashed too easily. So I don't think I want to maintain a line of all white Nn's.
I'm AM working on an all black line of Nn's where the cockerels don't get any leakage. I'm finding it's really hard to find black Nn roosters without any leakage at all. They are all mutts all over the country. So I'm using my hatchery Jersey Giants to get a non-leaky black NN, and increasing their size at the same time. My main Nn meat flock will be alot of colors though. I seem to be naturally getting a theme of blue wheatens and blacks. I think I might stick with that. The wheatens and blues are pretty birds.

Yeah...I tried cleaning up my black NNs with Australorp blood. Instead of black, I wound up with birchen:
Pepper - right - 17 weeks.jpg

He was beautiful and a decent rooster overall, but did nothing to clean up the black. His children and grandchildren, however, have helped me produce some gorgeous reds.

I’m sure you’ve posted photos of him but would you post one so I can see what he looks like?
He sounds amazing lol!
13 lbs! :eek:
May I ask what is the difference between a NN and Nn?

This is Rocky when he was still only 11 lbs:
Rocky 4.jpg

I'm actually not using the proper genetic distinction for the NN gene, which is NANA for homozygous (full NN gene), and Na for heterozygous (hybrid NN gene). I'm lazy, so I use NN for homozygous and Nn for heterozygous. This guy is 1/2 White Rock and 1/2 NN from a homozygous sire, making him a 50/50 heterozygous Nn...or Na.

This is Rocky when he was still only 11 lbs:
View attachment 1527734

I'm actually not using the proper genetic distinction for the NN gene, which is NANA for homozygous (full NN gene), and Na for heterozygous (hybrid NN gene). I'm lazy, so I use NN for homozygous and Nn for heterozygous. This guy is 1/2 White Rock and 1/2 NN from a homozygous sire, making him a 50/50 heterozygous Nn...or Na.
He’s beautiful!

I’m trying to understand how the genetics work.
Will a NN roo with a clean naked neck (no feathers) produce all NN chicks even if the mother is fully feathered?
How about if the roo has a “bow tie” or a “bib”?
Are the genes different with the hens?
My cockerel Angus has a bib and so does my pullet Emily.
Agatha, however, has a bow tie.

Yeah...I tried cleaning up my black NNs with Australorp blood. Instead of black, I wound up with birchen:
View attachment 1527733

He was beautiful and a decent rooster overall, but did nothing to clean up the black. His children and grandchildren, however, have helped me produce some gorgeous reds.
Haha! Freakin figures. I've had a couple roosters come out looking like that, too. They're always kinda medium/large in size and really nothing that jumps out as a rooster that's worth keeping. The last one was given to a friend that lost all hers to predators, and she's loving him.
This is the one I'm gonna try using. He's really small, from El Gallo over the Transylvania girls, but he's got the least amount of color leakage of any of the black NN roosters I've hatched out so far. I plan to cross him with the NNxJG pullets and possibly the JG hens since he's homozygous.
0907181255j.jpg

Back
Top Bottom