Naked Neck/Turken Thread

It's not the size of the eggs, it's the size of the hens. So for example if you wanted to make your NN's bigger using Brahmas, you put a NN roo over Brahma hens to get offspring that are closer to Brahma sized. If you did it the other way around all the offspring would be the size of the NN hens.
My Jersey Giants lay smaller eggs, and some of my smallest NN hens lay huge eggs.

It's not the size of the eggs, it's the size of the hens. So for example if you wanted to make your NN's bigger using Brahmas, you put a NN roo over Brahma hens to get offspring that are closer to Brahma sized. If you did it the other way around all the offspring would be the size of the NN hens.
My Jersey Giants lay smaller eggs, and some of my smallest NN hens lay huge eggs.

Yes, for generating overall size using a larger hen will generally produce larger offspring in maturity, but it's not quite as simple as it sounds. I actually bred a nearly bantam sized NN weighing just over 3 lbs to small NN rooster that only weighed around 5 lbs and wound up with two of three offspring cockerels growing to nearly seven pounds by 16 weeks. The genetics they carry hide within them and can still work in your favor. That's why it's advantageous to track their lineage back as far as possible.

Last edited:
This is my newest breeder, Scout. He's 24 weeks and over 10 lbs so far, though I need to get a really accurate weight on him. I've spent today culling his smaller brothers and tonight will be moving him out nearer the hens that will become his so they can become familiar with one another. In spite of his larger muff, he's homozygous NN from my favorite NN hen and my eldest NN rooster. I absolutely LOVE this guy. He knows his name, comes on command, and has never so much as nipped at me.

Sorry the first image is a little blurry. He wouldn't stop begging to be picked up.
Scout 9-7-18 - 1.jpg

Scout 9-7-18 - 2.jpg

This is my newest breeder, Scout. He's 24 weeks and over 10 lbs so far, though I need to get a really accurate weight on him. I've spent today culling his smaller brothers and tonight will be moving him out nearer the hens that will become his so they can become familiar with one another. In spite of his larger muff, he's homozygous NN from my favorite NN hen and my eldest NN rooster. I absolutely LOVE this guy. He knows his name, comes on command, and has never so much as nipped at me.

Sorry the first image is a little blurry. He wouldn't stop begging to be picked up.
View attachment 1528742

View attachment 1528743
You could make sex links with him.

View attachment 1528742

View attachment 1528743
Nice! Maybe next Spring I can talk you out of some hatching eggs from his flock? :jumpy:D

This is Dozer, another of my young breeders. He's the son of my eldest NN rooster from the hatch that got me started on the breed, and he's even better than his father. In fact, he may be the best rooster I've bred....totally devoted to his girls, extremely human friendly yet strongly protective of his harem. He fights off challengers successfully without being excessively combative. And I love the blue barring with hints of jewel colors in his wings.

Dozer 7-19-2018.jpg
Dozer 5-26-18 - C.jpg

This is Dozer, another of my young breeders. He's the son of my eldest NN rooster from the hatch that got me started on the breed, and he's even better than his father. In fact, he may be the best rooster I've bred....totally devoted to his girls, extremely human friendly yet strongly protective of his harem. He fights off challengers successfully without being excessively combative. And I love the blue barring with hints of jewel colors in his wings.

View attachment 1529551 View attachment 1529549
Dozer is very handsome!
I love birds with barring and colors.
I’m watching my cockerel Angus as he develops as a flock master.
I hope he continues on to become a great roo like your guy.

View attachment 1529551 View attachment 1529549

That is a gorgeous boy :loveyou're lucky with all those good boys you have too. I'm just hoping for non human aggressive if our chick is a roo.

Dozer is very handsome!
I love birds with barring and colors.
I’m watching my cockerel Angus as he develops as a flock master.
I hope he continues on to become a great roo like your guy.

It's fascinating to watch, isn't it? I have roosters I simply adore because they're so loving to me, but recognize they're not the best with the hens. I have other that are really good with the hens, but may be overly combative with other roosters and just a little too nervous with people, etc. It's so rare to have a bird that just feels perfect in every way.

Back
Top Bottom