Naked Neck/Turken Thread

So after doing some reading, I’m trying to understand the Na/Na vs Na/na+ for naked necks…homozygous vs. heterozygous. It seems like everyone has their own opinion, and just wondering if there is a real-deal answer here.

Clean necks are obviously homozygous. Then there’s a “bow tie” - which generally means the chicken has feathers covering the crop/lower neck area, but has a clean upper neck/back neck. This is heterozygous.

But then there’s chickens with just a few feathers on the front neck, but the crop and lower neck are clean. I’ve seen this called a “bib.”

So here’s my question: is a bow tie the same as a bib (indicating heterozygous), or does a bib fall under homozygous?

Something else to add in here is that the SOP allows for a few feathers on the neck (bib) but if the lower neck/crop is feathered (bow tie), then it’s disqualified.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Naked Neck: A Noble Gene for Broiler Production in Tropical Climate

The following is from the study…

Plumage reducing naked neck gene

The presence of naked neck gene has long been known in the domestic fowl, which reduces feather coverage in chickens by 20 and 40% in the heterozygous (Na/na) and homozygous (Na/Na) conditions, respectively, (Davenport, 1914; Warren, 1933; Hutt, 1949). Hertwig (1933) studied this gene and demonstrated that naked neck is controlled by an incomplete dominant gene called Na. Crawford (1978) and Scott and Crawford (1977) have shown that the heterozygous (Na/na) naked neck can be identified by an isolated tuft of several dozen of feathers on the ventral sides of the neck, this tuft is lacking or is reduced to a few feathers in homozygous naked neck (Na/Na) birds. Bordas c!t al. (1978)and Merat (1986)observed that the larger extension of opteria on the ventral face of the thighs and on the breast for Na/Na birds is an additional criterion of dissemination. Bhat (1980)described the presence of naked neck characteristic in B-breed of Bombay area in India. The majority of unselected local populations contain an appreciable proportion of naked neck birds appears to be located in subtropical, tropical or equatorial zones, particularly those with hot and humid climates.

Na/na youngster
190B1E3B-D2B4-42B5-929E-8C1B9690EF36.jpeg

My youngest NN… she is Na/Na so should produce some nice Na/na chicks when bred to a rooster (so far all my roosters are na/na breeds).
61838AD7-479E-4F22-920D-1800A376E3F0.jpeg

Right now we have three confirmed Egyptian Roosters and 1 D’Uccle. I am hoping one of the Saipans (the slower maturing one) turns out to be a boy… we have eggs incubating, but had serious incubator issues so far… so weare hoping and praying. Otherwise it is more mail order egg time.

We are trying to get a rooster for our Black Swedish hen either BS or AC, a Saipan Rooster for the Saipan Project, quality RIR rooster Rose or Single comb, Rose comb RI Whites… I am wanting to cross the Naked Necks with the Rhode Island Reds for sure… darken up the various red lines of Naked Necks we have to a nice deep mahogany red, improve size.

We also want to cross the Saipan to one of the Naked Necks.

So after doing some reading, I’m trying to understand the Na/Na vs Na/na+ for naked necks…homozygous vs. heterozygous. It seems like everyone has their own opinion, and just wondering if there is a real-deal answer here.

Clean necks are obviously homozygous. Then there’s a “bow tie” - which generally means the chicken has feathers covering the crop/lower neck area, but has a clean upper neck/back neck. This is heterozygous.

But then there’s chickens with just a few feathers on the front neck, but the crop and lower neck are clean. I’ve seen this called a “bib.”

So here’s my question: is a bow tie the same as a bib (indicating heterozygous), or does a bib fall under homozygous?

Something else to add in here is that the SOP allows for a few feathers on the neck (bib) but if the lower neck/crop is feathered (bow tie), then it’s disqualified.

Thanks!!
Use the blue/black/splash chart, it’s about the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom