Name that breed!???

audioguy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2010
Branchburg, NJ
While coming home from our yearly apple picking tradition we saw a sign for chicks and decided it was time to add to our flock. The first problem was that the chicks were not sexed and where we live we are only allowed hens, no roosters.
So we attempted to do the sexing using the feather method and hopefully we got all hens!

Anyway the owner said they were Black Cuckoo Marans, but it was hard to tell at 5 days old. Need some expert opinions to see if they can be ID'd as to maybe what breed they might be.
Heck for all we know we added all roosters to the flock. Hope not.

Some websites say that he spot on the top of the head determines sex too. They all look the same to me!

Thanks in advance!

While coming home from our yearly apple picking tradition we saw a sign for chicks and decided it was time to add to our flock. The first problem was that the chicks were not sexed and where we live we are only allowed hens, no roosters.
So we attempted to do the sexing using the feather method and hopefully we got all hens!

Anyway the owner said they were Black Cuckoo Marans, but it was hard to tell at 5 days old. Need some expert opinions to see if they can be ID'd as to maybe what breed they might be.
Heck for all we know we added all roosters to the flock. Hope not.

Some websites say that he spot on the top of the head determines sex too. They all look the same to me!

Thanks in advance!
cant tell sex at this age

Thanks. According to various sites online, including this one, the feathers might tell the whole story. Different lengths of feathers can be I'd as a female, as long as the previous litters were bread for that trait. I'm assuming they partly correct.
I am more interested in the breed. Cuckoo Marans was what the guy said, but he could also be wrong.
I guess we will wait and see. If we get a rooster, it will either become a meal or a meal for a predator! Who knows!

Back
Top Bottom