• Only the ones I’m not going to eat.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • No I don’t name them

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Only the ones I can tell apart.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
Pics
My hens momma and baby got there names when momma was broody for the first time. She was a yr old and didn't have a name. She is a black Australorp with a yellow band and a missing point at the center of her comb. Also has a single bit of white above her left eye. Like I said, she didn't originally have a name. She became broody, and we decided to pet one of our broody hens hatch eggs, something we've never done until then. She was the one we chose not to break from broodyness and let her sit on about ten eggs. Then, about 20 or so days later, she hatched out a single chick, an Australorp ee mix. At which point we all started calling her momma because she was such a good momma. And we started to call her only little one, baby. The names stuck with them. And now two years later, baby is a beautiful fluffy faced black hen, and momma is sitting on another clutch of developing eggs.

We also had a Japanese black bantam called peepers, and a white silky bantam called cotton ball. The two of them came to us as a few days old chicks. They were part of a group of five tsc rescue that were half dead. Peepers got his name because he peeped constantly without stop. They were all weak but peepers was the worst. Cotton ball got his name because he reminded me of a tiny cotton ball as a chick. Peepers as he recovered (which we didn't think he would) was realized to be nearly completely deaf. And he always used cotton ball as an emotional support chick and a crutch since he couldn't stand and balance well. He recovered but if we tried to take cotton ball the little cock would peep so loud that we could hear him from our basement.
I hope I get enough experience and confidence that I can rescue a few from TSC...we were there buying supplies and all but one little honey looked good. I wanted to scoop her up & fix her. Bless you for saving yours! ❤️

I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
Thanks for participating!
The names pop up randomly not forced and I have the same breeds but different colors (silkies) but if I did have the same breed and color I would get leg bands but I'm sure you could tell them apart

I hope I get enough experience and confidence that I can rescue a few from TSC...we were there buying supplies and all but one little honey looked good. I wanted to scoop her up & fix her. Bless you for saving yours! ❤️
Unfortunately only the two I mentioned survived.

I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
Astrid, Aurora, Maleficent, Belle, Esmerelda and Anastasia (my Polish Crested). I named them on day 1 based on looks and use their names constantly. They are always together, but respond to my voice. They do know "Chickens, come". When we had a day of rain last week, I found them pressed up against my sliding glass door as if they wanted to come inside. 🤣

Attachments

• 20210719_170523.jpg
    20210719_170523.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210720_140957.jpg
    20210720_140957.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 1
My daughter has named all the ones we get to keep. (She has to sell some next week as part of the 4-H project that gave us 29 chickens.) Ironically, she can't tell the show quality bird apart anyway. She has named her keepers for striking characteristics, for her dance teachers, or just gave them names she likes. Her favorite chicken comes when called - she always gets the best treats.

My daughter is going to put bands on the chickens' legs to make sure she can tell them apart. It will also help identify them quickly when we start free ranging so we can tell who is missing.

I’ve always named my chickens ever since I was little. I tend to name the “batches” after certain themes/characters. A lot of times they are from TV shows or video games. Other times they are just food names haha! I currently have chickens named Bubbles, Chevron, Nayru, Din, Farore, Chips, Poppy, and Lavender. I have two quail named Crumbs and Pretzel.

Mine have names, but I mostly name them after food as a reminder of their ultimate purpose.

The Marans are French chicken dishes, the Dominiques are Boar's Head chicken lunchmeats (I'm a deli clerk), the Langshans were going to all be Chinese food but one is En Croute because he had pasty butt as a chick ...
I wait until I see what they're like first. Legs was one of the chicks who was just all legs, Minka was like a bit of mink with chocolate legs. Babs was brown with a 'frill' of white down her front like a barmaid's blouse. Ginger Snr, Ginger Jnr, Ginger grandson. Jerry. None of the new Pharaoh's are named yet.

Back
Top Bottom