Nearly 4 week old Barred Rocks look like they're either burping or choking!

Atchurch

Songster
Mar 13, 2023
So my babies were so outgrowing the brooder boxes, so I moved them to their coop. I have been a super helicopter mom and I seriously checked on them every two hours, ALL NIGHT on Saturday night and Sunday morning. I couldn't even go to church, I was so exhausted. Now, it's Monday night and I see two Barred Rocks are looking normal in every way, but they keep doing this weird thing where they look like they're trying to burp or maybe choking! Their crops aren't full as far as the normal tests go. What's happening with my babies?
BTW, there are 4 Barred Rocks and 4 Rhode Island Reds...I feed them all organic crumbles for chicks and water with the occasional acorn squash (baked and dusted with sand for grit, but like, once a week), fresh water with a touch of vinegar-twice a day and they have grit, dust bath box, and heat for the 40° temps at night only. I'm trying so hard to keep them safe and happy. What are they doing?!

Attachments

• 20230327_190129.jpg
    20230327_190129.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 15
What exactly are they doing? Chickens will raise their heads up, and open their mouth to adjust the crop contents. My guess that's what you are seeing, and it's perfectly normal.

What exactly are they doing? Chickens will raise their heads up, and open their mouth to adjust the crop contents. My guess that's what you are seeing, and it's perfectly normal.
Yeah, maybe. They didn't have FULL crops at the time, but they stretched their necks and opened their mouths and then would scratch themselves under their wings or something, then do it again. That has to be what they're doing because, otherwise, acting perfectly normal. Thanks for putting my anxiety at ease. I am driving my husband crazy with constant worry. Lol.

Chicks seem to always eat a lot as they are growing. They stuff themselves so much that I think they need to make more room in the crop by doing that behavior which shifts the crop upwards and than lowers it back down. I see it as the equivalent of letting a notch out of the belt so someone can eat more.

I do understand being nervous about everything. It's perfectly normal for us humans to worry about out little feathered kids. :)

Chicks seem to always eat a lot as they are growing. They stuff themselves so much that I think they need to make more room in the crop by doing that behavior which shifts the crop upwards and than lowers it back down. I see it as the equivalent of letting a notch out of the belt so someone can eat more.

I do understand being nervous about everything. It's perfectly normal for us humans to worry about out little feathered kids. :)
Yes...and this is my first time ever with chicks or chickens (which they are becomming FAST). If anybody in here has questions about cats or kittens, though, I'm your girl! HAHA!

Yes...and this is my first time ever with chicks or chickens (which they are becomming FAST). If anybody in here has questions about cats or kittens, though, I'm your girl! HAHA!
What are cats so rude? Hitting me isn't gonna make the food come out of the can faster. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom