need a setter what about my muscovy

ksavageclarke

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 4, 2012
I am collecting some chicken eggs that I really want to hatch. I don't have a good setting hen, but i have an adult female muscovy. Do you think it would work to have her set on the chicken eggs? Thanks to anyone who has advice on this for me.

A friend of mine has Muscovies and he had a chicken laying in the same nest as the muscovy. He sorted out the chicken eggs the best he could, but she still hatched one chick (he took it away so she wouldn't stop sitting on her own eggs). I would think it should work fine.

I just bought a muscovy and I wonder how I can encourage her to go broody. So far she has not laid a single egg!

I just bought a muscovy and I wonder how I can encourage her to go broody. So far she has not laid a single egg!
You can not encourage broodiness. It's a hormonal thing. Once spring comes around I'm sure she'll be more than willing to brood for you.

Or you can borrow 4 of mine, I have 4 Muscovies who have gone crazy and want to sit on absolutely nothing [since I am taking their eggs] I'll even throw in a broody hen. [chicken]

Back
Top Bottom