need advice - neighborhood rooster found with head injury/exposed skull

denialism

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2024
Hi all,

about a week ago i noticed one of the neighborhood roosters in my yard with what appeared to be black gunk all over his head (my first thought was someone did something cruel and dumped something hot on him but honestly idk). he looked wretched, but at the time i was not intending to make it my own problem, as i often do (LOL). however, a few days went by, and he went from perching on our fence and eating the stray cats' food to lying down in surrounding yards, looking--for all intents and purposes--completely dead. i kept coming to check him what i assumed would finally be his corpse, trash bag in hand, but each time, he was still alive. i ended up getting him some water to drink, and then some baby food to eat, and then one thing led to another and wouldn't you know it, now he's recovering (tentative) in my garage.

so far, i've followed the advice of the forums and a few friends who rescue ducks/chickens up north, and have flushed the maggots from his wound, sprayed with vetericyn, applied plain neosporin, given him water dosed with aspirin, and am feeding him baby food as often as i can. I think, in the grand scheme of things, he looks at least marginally better, and seems...stable? if completely pathetic (in an endearing way of course). he eats, but only if you dribble food into the side of his mouth with a syringe or hold a little bowl directly under his mouth, perhaps related to question 2 below.

naturally i have a litany of concerns, but a couple burning questions currently: 1) there is a hole in his head and i can see his skull. as far as i know, skin like...won't grow back over that? will he have an exposed skull for the rest of his little life? and 2) he's blind in one eye from a previous fight, and at this point, he's holding his head at an extreme angle--the good eye is facing up but he pretty consistently holds his head at like a 90 degree angle to the side. not sure if that's a result of his current pain levels or just the massive head trauma, etc; i didn't think his neck was like broken or anything because when i first saw he was injured i don't think he was holding his head to the side.

just sort of looking for some insight on the above, if i am cruelly keeping him alive for selfish desires to triumph over what seemed like certain death, etc etc. perhaps i am expecting too much too soon, and this is totally normal and everything is (relatively) fine. Any info you all can provide would be appreciated. also attaching two really poorly taken photos of his injury just after the first time i cleaned it on tuesday evening, versus this morning on Friday (pink towel photo). also, because i sent the initial photo to someone and they said it looked like the black stuff was sticktight fleas and the yellow stuff was eggs (?), please let me know if you know what either are. the black stuff is a crusty scab afaik and the yellow stuff looks like sawdust embedded in his feathers. questions abound. thank you all.

Attachments

• IMG_7376.jpg
    IMG_7376.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7374.jpg
    IMG_7374.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 13
If you really want to save him, take him to the vet for proper pain relief and antibiotics. Current pain relief recommendations are that chickens need meloxicam which is not available over the counter.

I personally would euthanize him because he is in pain and stuck in a weird and stressful situation, compared to his feral outdoor life.

It's possible that there could be head injury, neck injury, or his blindness makes him hold his head oddly.
I had a hen scalped, you could see her skull, she survived and lived a normal life, image below after about 5 - 6 weeks. Make sure to keep the wound clean, some of that black tissue may be necrotic (dead, no blood supply) and may drop off. I would flush it as needed (if you see pus forming or signs of infection), I would use chlorhexidine (hibiclens), and apply plain triple antibiotic ointment all over it several times a day, as needed to keep it covered and moist. Don't bandage. Keep him where flies cannot get to the wound.
Make sure he's drinking well, you can mix his regular feed with some water to make a mash, and you may need to hand feed him or tube feed him until he's stronger. Most of the time antibiotics are not needed, but if signs of infection show up, then if you can get your hands on some amoxicillin, that would be good.
You can offer him cooked or scrambled eggs, some canned tuna, etc, to help get him to eat. I would also give him a B complex, or Super B complex tablet or capsule once daily. Human ones, any brand, any pharmacy will have them. Just put one in his beak and push it back a little, he'll swallow it. There is no risk of over dosing those, extra will be excreted. If you have any poultry nutri drench, you can use that for up to 3 days for a boost and may help his appetite. Don't use that one long term it can cause diarrhea.
If he's blind or partially blind, then making him a pet would be best, he'll be at a disadvantage as a feral roo, and will likely be hurt or killed later from fighting.
Info on tube feeding here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/go-team-tube-feeding-updated-12-29-2019.805728/
My hen:
headwound.jpg

If you really want to save him, take him to the vet for proper pain relief and antibiotics. Current pain relief recommendations are that chickens need meloxicam which is not available over the counter.

I personally would euthanize him because he is in pain and stuck in a weird and stressful situation, compared to his feral outdoor life.
Scalped chickens are common, easy to heal, & do not require euthanasia.

Scalped chickens are common, easy to heal, & do not require euthanasia.
If OP can’t give him pain relief then it’s not really a fair situation for him. From the description there is more to the injury than just the scalp.

A vet would be best.

Barring proper vet care, sometimes euthanasia is the more humane option.

If OP can’t give him pain relief then it’s not really a fair situation for him. From the description there is more to the injury than just the scalp.

A vet would be best.

Barring proper vet care, sometimes euthanasia is the more humane option.
Low dose baby aspirin is fine for pain as long as there's no bleeding. It needs to be given as a quarter, or half a tablet 1-2 times a day for 3 days max.

Most vets don't know proper chicken care. Reason most of us opt to care for the birds at home.

If a bird is actually suffering due to an illness like cancer, or some other chronic, & painful reproductive disorder, a severe infection, or a broken back I'd put it down myself.

I've treated quite a few scalped birds.

Back
Top Bottom