Need advice on mixing meds: Sulfadimethoxine and Tylosin (Cocci and MG: Double Whammy!)

K2goatsandducks

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Sacramento, CA, USA
I have 3 pullets with what appears to be Corid-resistant Coccidiosis. I've been treating their water with 9.8 mL/gallon (2.5 mL/32 ounces) for almost two weeks. I tried reducing the dosage, and the bloody mucous came right back.

One of the pullets is also suffering from what appears to be MG. Her cocci was much worse, so I was also giving her a .15 mL drench of Corid. I skipped one day of the drench and her poops had bloody mucous again as well. The other two pullets are active, eating, and drinking, but about 1/2 of their overnight poops were bloody mucous.

Previous thread on the MG symptoms.

I ordered Medicox (Sulfadimethoxine powder) from Jedds to try and treat the cocci in all three pullets.
I also ordered Tylosin powder to try and reduce the symptoms of MG in the pullet (and another hen who has also come down with MG symptoms).

For the one pullet, can I mix the two meds in her water? If not, which should I prioritize? Can I do a syringe drench with one and put the other in the water? Thank you for any insight! I tried researching the interactions, but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Additional question: My hen who just started showing MG symptoms does not seem to be eating or drinking. (I have her in a separation crate with food and water easily accessible, as her eyes are closed and she can't see from the swollen sinuses, but I still haven't seen her eat or drink.) When the meds come in, can/should I drench her with the Tylosin? She's not coughing or sneezing, but her poop was green last night because she didn't eat all day. That is if she makes it till the meds get here. :fl

Back
Top Bottom