Need better technique for killing my Pekin ducks

JHaller

Songster
14 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Austin TX
When I slaughtered by first three Pekin ducks, I learned that I'm not skilled enough to use an axe. So, the second three ducks were put in a cone and I tried to cut the artery and bleed them out. The ducks did not die as quickly as they should, so I was perhaps cutting in the wrong place or not making the cuts deep enough. I have 10 more ducks to process soon, and frankly, my confidence is shot. I'm an out-of-shape middle-aged woman, so I need to get this done without relying on strength or athletic skills. I'm in an urban area, so firearms are not practical.

I searched the web for very explicit instructions on how to humanely kill the ducks, but came up with nothing helpful. I want someone to explain the procedure to me as though I were twelve years old.

Ducks are harder to process than chickens. They don't fall into a stupor when you hold them upside down. Their necks are quite strong and thick and don't yield easily to edged weapons. They seem to know what's coming and struggle for their lives.

Can you folks either set me straight on how to do this or direct me to a resource to help me get it right?

Thanks!

If you have the cones, use them...

You may need a different knife, and you need to be very matter of fact with the task at hand. The most efficient way to slaughter is to be unwavering, anything else causes problems and stress.

Pull them through the cone, and make one good cut, right now your nerves are stopping you. Make sure it's in the right spot and deep enough, just say to your self this is what I have to do so let's do it right.

The only thing I would suggest to help is the knife you use. We have switched to Havolon and they are awesome! They have replacement scalpel blades that are down right scary sharp. The last chickens I did I literally just touched with the blade and that was enough.

Good luck, you can do it

how do you break the neck? With a broom handle? I don't have a lot of physical strength to wrestle these big ol' birds.

My freshly sharpened Spyderco Delica knife works just fine for the cut, but I think the under-jaw slit is NOT the right spot. I think I only opened a vein. I'd like to see a diagram of the best location to make the cut. Maybe it needs to be further down the neck? Maybe it needs to be 1/3 of the way through the neck to hit the artery? Maybe it needs to more to the back instead of the side?

I have the Storey Guide to duck keeping and it says to cut the jugular vein. I think the animal would bleed out faster if i could slit the carotid artery. Where the heck is it?

(Good to know about those Havolon blades, they could be applied to many tasks!)

My freshly sharpened Spyderco Delica knife works just fine for the cut, but I think the under-jaw slit is NOT the right spot. I think I only opened a vein. I'd like to see a diagram of the best location to make the cut. Maybe it needs to be further down the neck? Maybe it needs to be 1/3 of the way through the neck to hit the artery? Maybe it needs to more to the back instead of the side?

I have the Storey Guide to duck keeping and it says to cut the jugular vein. I think the animal would bleed out faster if i could slit the carotid artery. Where the heck is it?

(Good to know about those Havolon blades, they could be applied to many tasks!)

I would cut them just like chickens, each side just under the jaw line.

They are poultry so the internal structure is basically the same.

I'll see if I can dig up a diagram

Wouldn't it break their legs when you yank them? how much force does it take? I like the idea of the Wringer; what I hate about processing is that you need to practice on live animals to get good at it!

It doesn't take much force really. You are just dislocating a fairly simple connection. sincerely doubt you would break a leg or legs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom