Need help choosing the best brown egg layer.

TheBigWRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
Wenatchee, Washington
I am going to be buying some egg laying hens in the spring. I have a lot more experience with bantams and fancy breeds than layers. I have already decided on white Leghorns and Americanas, although I am trying to decide on a brown egg laying breed. I have been looking at RIR's, Production Reds, and Sex Links. I haven't been able to find a lot of actual numbers on the amount of eggs that the hybrids produce compared to purebred RIR's, and everyone seems to have differing opinions. I know a lot of this has to do with how they are cared for too. I am just trying to figure out if there is anything that really stands out about one type over the other, and get opinions from someone who has owned a couple different types of these chickens.

My main needs are for egg quantity, large egg size, and also a chicken that will lay well in the winter. I live in Washington State, and also live in a canyon that blocks a lot of sun light year round, and all of it for about three months in the winter. They will be receiving supplemental heat and light in the winter. The chickens will have to be cooped up because of wild predators and dogs in our area. I am not concerned with meat, and do not need a broody hen, just trying to find the best year round layer.
Thank you very much for your time, and any info you can give me!

When I bought my Golden Sex Links at the farm store, they had a poster for me to look at that stated how many eggs per year on ave. the hens would lay. Golden Sex Links rated as slightly more eggs per year than Buff Orpingtons.

They are very good layers thus far in their first year laying. Also, you get only GIRLS!!!!

I love my Isa Brown Hens- Nice big Brown eggs. My DW sells eggs at work & her co-workers marvel at the size & how heavy they are compared to any eggs they've purchased at the stores. Plus these gals are very(sometimes overly) friendly. I'll sit in the coop listening to the radio & they'll hop on my lap, shoulders, legs. Sometimes can almost be covered up in chickens

I recommend the Moyer's brown layers. For us, they lay a extra large/ jumbo brown egg and they continue to lay pretty much as well through the winter. I also like New Hampshires, which don't lay quite as large of an egg but are really pretty.
smile.png

ISA Browns 100% for me.. not a huge bird, mine started laying at 17 weeks old (3 of them) , calm (not flighty), sweet temperaments, quiet and lay daily.. I have 13 different kinds, but this is what I will buy for layers from now on.. mine came from http://townlinehatchery.com/ ordered 26 pullets.. got all pullets and lost none from shipping. Good luck it is so overwhelming to decide on just one.. which is why I did 3 of each.. Isa Browns, Silver Lace wyandottes, Australorps, buff orps, white rocks, barred rocks, EE's(hatchery ameras) hummm who am I forgetting.. also love my RIR hen.. only one and she is a great layer..

Hi there!

I have a Red Star, named Ruby, and she is a great brown egg layer. She is very consistent and has the sweetest personality. She likes to jump up on my lap and eat popsicles! She is very animated and is quite the mooch. She is one of my favorites.

I also have 2 Ameraucanas, named Midnight and Bella. I do not recommend this breed at all. The birds are FREAKS...very flighty and no personality. They are taking FOREVER to get to their POL. Midnight is solid black and is laying peachy/pinky eggs...not what I had hoped for. She is inconsistent and I am having trouble with her damaging her eggs. She is pecking, not eating, them. She's damaging them just enough to crack the shell...dumb bird...lol! It's almost like she is pecking it as she's laying it...because the damage is always on the skinny end. I attempted to correct the problem by taking the tip off of her beak today. I didn't want to do it, but it was either that or get rid of her.

My other Amercaucana is Bella and she should start laying any day now...her face is red, red, red! I hope to get some blue/green eggs from her.

All in all, I highly recommend the Red Star Sex Link!!!
-Rob:weee

If all you're interested in is a lot of brown eggs and easy keepers any of the sex links are ideal: Golden Comet, Black Star and Red Star. They'll start early, lay an egg just about every day and the eggs will be good size. Also, since they're sex link you can rest assured that you'll have 100% pullets. However, they will burn out in about 3 years.

Last edited:
My two barred rocks are excellent layer and also have wonderful personalities. The silver laced wyandotte also is a good layer for us.

I've had an egg every day for 6 weeks from a RIR. Her eggs are now nearly full size. I can tell they are hers as they have a distinct coloring. RIR gets my vote.

I have 6 sex links that lay daily and they are all over 2oz...one laid a 2.4oz egg last week. The shades of brown are very pretty...one like coffee with a lil cream, one brown egg has darker brown freckles (always know Rita's egg), one is a pinkish brown, etc. They started laying at 16 and 17 weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom