need help putting together a guide for preparing for new flock.

DianaMallory

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Lancaster Ohio
I have had so many ask me about raising chickens and the last time I got ask I decide to come up with a few chick points on getting started. Points on things before like needs and convenience needs. 101 things you need to know before you get chicks.
Like making or having a large enough brooder space ready and waiting. Having your coop and run done way before hand. and so on. Tell me what your first word of advise would be to someone who is thinking about it and starting to ask questions about it.

Make sure to buy a hanging feeder and use a 20% feed. It saves alot of time instead of buying trough style chick feeders
Have your brooder clean and disinfect before each use
Buy everything in advance before you order your chicks

Make sure to buy a hanging feeder and use a 20% feed. It saves alot of time instead of buying trough style chick feeders
Have your brooder clean and disinfect before each use
Buy everything in advance before you order your chicks
Good advise! I was thinking about they should ask themselves if they have a life style that they can handle chickens. You see so many fall in love with the idea of the little fluffy things taking them home not prepared and getting rid of them because they didn't realize they would grow that fast and the work involved.

I don't get the to much work part
If you plan ahead and don't over buy
I have 25 hens and I don't do a whole lot of work. Feeders last three days waterers last 1week and I clean the coop once a month
Other then my daily health walk through I only spend about an 1hr a day with them and there perfectly fine with that

I clean my poo boards off daily, check feeders and water daily let them in and out of the coop morning and night. Yes I lock mine down at night due to predators. I only have to change my bedding every 3-4 months. And that is a hard job. Yes there is a lot of work that goes into taking care of any pet/animal. Take someone who likes to go a lot, I would suggest they think it through before taking on chickens. They do have to be taken care of daily. Like today, I have no idea how they did it but I was late letting them out of the coop and they had somehow got one side of their feeder pulled down and dumped their water that I just filled yesterday. I also collect my eggs daily. So yes there is a lot of work involved. Sure I could let the poo boards go but I find if I clean it daily the sweet PDZ. last longer. And it is just easier for me.

I'm guessing this is if you have multiple chicks.? :( I only have two, they live inside with us in my room in my old guinea pigs cage. I change their water 3-4 times a day to make sure it's not so poopy and I only do the food morning and night :) I also talk and play with them every chance I get because I love having a strong bond with my animals. Their family to me not pets
2665.png

I would say, for someone who has allergies to use puppy pee pads because you won't have dust and shavings flying everywhere

This is for someone who wants chickens for egg production not FOO FOO chicks! My flock of 11 which was suppose to be 12 but one was a roo that turned aggressive so I culled him I don't consider as pets. I brooded them in the house but as soon as they were big enough they went to their own space outside! Were I might add working chickens belong! But you do have a good point. Which is research. Know what you want out of your birds. Are you getting them for egg production, for meat or ornamental reasons. Well so far I have, Check your life style and make sure you have time for them. Then decide what you expect out of them. Research the breeds to find which one suites what you want. Check your area to make sure you are allowed to have them in your zone. Figure out how many you want. Research how much brooder space, coop space, and run space. I think I will suggest either going on line and checking out operating coops or visit someone you know already has one. And I suggest joining BYC!

Anyone else have anything to add to this check list. This is a check list for things you should know before getting Chickens.

Hi Diana,
frow.gif

you covered a lot of what people should do and be aware of. You and the other posters--- Research - definitely. Know what you want your chickens for... producing eggs, making the yard pretty and keeping bugs down, taking to shows, 4H projects -- then find the breed that will suit that purpose the best.

It is great to be fully prepared...and be aware of what predators could be a threat to your flock and what you can do to protect the chickens from them. Talk to - and try to find others who will be there when you have questions. - Have a sturdy box - or a pet carrier someplace so you can isolate one of your chickens if you should ever have the need to do it. If the breed that you select has a breed club -- consider joining it -- because you will also find help, answers and resources there.

thumbsup.gif

Some folks do what chickens for house pets! -- even if that seems foo foo -- and why not? chickens are great! ;o)

Back
Top Bottom