Need help selecting starter flock! New to raising chickens

angelcheex

Chirping
Jan 30, 2013
Last edited:
All except the polish and silkie are supposed to be hens. The other two are straight run, so maybe hens... dunno. I wanted a variation of eggs and a cute one (silkie) but then read that the other may pick on it b/c it's different looking, so I chose the polish to keep it company. If I get 3 of a particular breed, which would be the best for egg production?

A silkie rooster wouldn't get picked on if everyone else was a girl. Silke pullets are good at hatching out Babies if you want that. For eggs I would say leghorns for sure, my Americas lay every other day, And RIR? Cochins will lay good on and off... Then be broody for a couple months :). I would stick to your list. They will make friends since they are being raised together.

Hey there angelcheex. Good for you for raising your own food. I live in Kendall, and currently have 10 hens on the downlow. I've had them for about 5 years now, and they are very easy to take care of. I raise bantams, just because they are more "natural" and can fly a little. Eggs are smaller, but just as tasty. Being smaller, they won't get as hot either. There are tropical breeds, the Cubalaya and Americana being good ones. My best layers are the Americanas and Dominiques. Bantams are also a little bit better at escaping predators, although that isn't a big deal in our suburban settings. All that being said, I don't think the breed matters too much, so get what you want, they are just chickens. In the late afternoons, I let them out of my run, and they graze on the lawn weeds, and exercise a bit before going to bed in the coop (all on their own). Be aware that chances are even that you'll get a few roosters in your order (unless they are sexed, and they still may make a mistake). For that reason, a lot of folks get sexlinks (a breed of chicken whose male and female chicks look different), but I am with you about wanting more "exotic" breeds. I processed and ate my roosters, difficult to do at first, but they really were annoying, and ended up being good eating. A very different experience from the "veal chicken" we typically eat. If you wish to chat about raising chickens, let me know.

I have to say if you want a good brown egg layer go with black Australop. I personally love the ameraucana chickens...they has alot of color variety.

If you do get a silkie be sure to get more than one. I also have a mixed flock. Silkies will often not roost and if you only have one no one else wants to sleep on the floor with them. I only had one silkie for a little while and she always seemed very alone and left out. I will be sure to always have a few if I get them again. If you are looking for a good broody hen to add to your flock but don't want to have more than one silkie, a cochin is also a good choice.

Overall your list look good. Good luck!

Last edited:
Each of the breeds you listed are represented in my fairly large and very mixed flock, except for color variations in a couple of 'em. My Cochin is black, my Polish is White Crested Black, and I had black sex-links instead of red. Got the others, mostly singletons or just a few of each. I like the variety.

The only consideration, as far as I am concerned, is the crests on the polish and silkies. I had to bring an injured Polish rooster into the house due to pecking by others so bad I couldn't put him back out with the flock after the third time he healed.

Likewise, the silkies may have trouble finding food and water, or avoiding pecking from others, if their crests aren't trimmed.

Both of those ornamental breeds are adorable. Others are, too - it's just that the silly looking chickens make us smile more.

Back
Top Bottom