• Total voters

The Angry Hen

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello friends! I am actually not in this forum of backyard chickens often, due to my flocks being older. But back in May of this year- I hatched two chicks by the names of Maggie and Ferocious.

I always try the best I can helping other backyard chickens' members identify their chicks... But I am stumped on my very own!! A couple months ago I made threads for gender guesses of these two but I received half the messages saying hen and half rooster. I appreciated the help... But I'm still quite confused!

Six months of age for the two of them. Here are my thoughts on Maggie: Maggie is a day older than Ferocious... But boy is there a size difference!! Maggie has this giant pea comb, (she has Buff Brahma in her/him). And he sorta has young saddle feathers growing. Maggie has these bright white legs that seem to have bigger spur bumps than any hen I have ever hatched. Maggie likes to try and fight one of my SF hens, Agnes. She tries to start fights with certain hens but won't stand up to my smallest hen!

My Dad was saying for awhile: "It is too early to tell... There still is a possibility of hen." Okay... I did some research and six months is normally the age for big gender differences when trying to tell.​
Now my Dad is saying: "Yup. You have a rooster." Okay... I think I have a rooster too. Here is a photograph I attached of Maggie. Will have to change it to Magnum? Any guesses are helpful. This is not urgent by any means... Just something I've been wondering. I hope these suit your needs of hints.

DSCN0048.JPG
DSCN0064.JPG
DSCN0052.JPG

Yeah... I think I know what y'all are thinking... Magnum.

I really like the stance of a Brahma rooster, (keep in mind he's a cross), and I'd be okay is he was a rooster. He sits on my lap, next to me when I'm working outside. He's overall good. But can get aggressive...

A friend of mine think rooster as well. I have come to agree.
Now I have Ferocious. Almost everybody I talk to agrees that she's a hen. I look at the comb, wattles, feathers, colors, face, legs, tail, I think hen. Personally I know she's a hen and this thread is mean for Magnum... But your input is welcome! Thanks.

Ferocious is very sweet and she's my favorite hen I have. Sadly... She can't defend herself good though. Just a short snippet story on Ferocious: There is a hen named Pipi of whom laid an egg that I placed under another hen. Pipi passed away before her egg had hatched... Fast forward Ferocious was born and looks EXACTLY like a mini Pipi.

DSCN0029.JPG
DSCN0030.JPG
DSCN0032.JPG
DSCN0038.JPG
DSCN0041.JPG
DSCN0044.JPG

Thank you so much in advance! I really appreciate you viewing this thread, any opinions are welcome. Also, any tips on keeping a rooster sweet are WELCOME. Good evening and God bless!

Regards,
-Angry Hen

P.S: (I cant get the thread outta center-of-page writing... So don't mind it please).

P.S X2: Do you have a chick that you can't identify? Feel free to borrow my thread and post a picture of your chick and get opinions on gender!​

Hey everybody!

Thank you very much for the responses! Guess what? I went out to collect eggs and start the day when I hear a high pitched noise, being worried and went into the coop and found Magnum crowing! It has been so long since I've heard a cockerel crow. My latest rooster was brought as an adult, so this was fun to hear. And since Ferocious and Magnum are very close in age... I guess we'll find out about Ferocious soon enough! :D

Thank you again for all you wonderful replies, and thank you so much @pineapple416. That is very nice of you. I try the best I can to make them always feel home. :)

Have a wonderful day everybody!!

Regards,
-Angry Hen

Back
Top Bottom