Need help with antibiotics for Mandarin with bumblefoot.

4-H chicken mom

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Oberlin, OH
I could use some guidance on antibotics. I tried posting my problem in the Emergencies section but didn't get a single response. :hit I did put him on Duramyacin because I figured it was better than nothing. Here was my post.

I got a new mandarin drake a while back and he was put in the inside pen with a plastic fencing over the opening so he could see the other ducks. He somehow got a small cut on the side of the toe from pacing back and forth. I didn't notice it until after I let him in the pen with the others. After a week, I noticed a slight swelling of the toe, so he was caught and separated again. Toe was bandaged, antibotics in water. Duramycin-10 is what I used. Toe healed very nicely, but swelling really never went away. Weeks have gone by, the duck was not bothered by the toe. He was not limping or anything. Yesterday I noticed the duck's toe was starting to swell even larger and starting to limp, so I caught him again and on the bottom of the toe had the bumblefoot scab. So today I was off work and gather the supplies. I soaked his foot in Epsom salt. I used a pair of tweezers to pick around the edge of the scab and started to pull at it. It didn't want to come out at first, so I squeezed it a little and out popped this round hard chunk of a thing. So now it is all cleaned up and bandaged. What I need to know is what kind of antibotics should I put in the water? Is Duramycin OK or should I get something else?

I sure hope someone can tell me if I am doing the right thing. I have never had a duck with bumblefoot. I hate having to keep him seperated from the others, especially since he was just getting to know the females.
Thanks for any tips you can give. :bow

You are being very good to your mandarin.

hugs.gif

Consider including an Epsom salt compress once a day before applying the ointment. It may help accelerate the healing.

Back
Top Bottom