Need help with Chicks and eggs!!

NewChickenmama06

Songster
5 Years
Apr 5, 2019
Western Ma
My black Australorp went broody on the 4th of July. Everything was going just fine until this morning. She went to take a break and two hens that normally will hop on and lay their eggs started to peck at what I'm assuming 2 pipped eggs. They ripped the eggshells to pieces. The rooster decided he was going to take a hit at one of the eggs himself.
When the broody hen came back, she would not get back on her eggs. At this point we decided to move them into the incubator.
The 2 chicks that were attacked seem to be ok, but not fully hatching as of yet. One is covered by mostly the membrane. I'm not sure if I should assist or not. Out of the other 3, one pipped in the incubator and the other 2 have not yet.
The broody hen is now sitting on other eggs in the nesting box. Should I move the unhatched eggs back under her? Should I assist the 2 chicks that are sitting in broken eggs?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't know what to do.
:idunno:idunno

My black Australorp went broody on the 4th of July. Everything was going just fine until this morning. She went to take a break and two hens that normally will hop on and lay their eggs started to peck at what I'm assuming 2 pipped eggs. They ripped the eggshells to pieces. The rooster decided he was going to take a hit at one of the eggs himself.
When the broody hen came back, she would not get back on her eggs. At this point we decided to move them into the incubator.
The 2 chicks that were attacked seem to be ok, but not fully hatching as of yet. One is covered by mostly the membrane. I'm not sure if I should assist or not. Out of the other 3, one pipped in the incubator and the other 2 have not yet.
The broody hen is now sitting on other eggs in the nesting box. Should I move the unhatched eggs back under her? Should I assist the 2 chicks that are sitting in broken eggs?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't know what to do.
:idunno:idunno
I'm not very experienced with matters such as these, but I think I would wait until they hatch in the 'bator and move them under the broody that night after they hatch, assuming they are healthy. I would keep an eye on the membrane and make sure the chick doesn't become shrink wrapped. I would also keep an eye on the broody after putting the chicks under her. It seems kind of odd to me that she would leave when her chicks are trying to hatch. Normally hens go into "lockdown" themselves at that point.

I'm not very experienced with matters such as these, but I think I would wait until they hatch in the 'bator and move them under the broody that night after they hatch, assuming they are healthy. I would keep an eye on the membrane and make sure the chick doesn't become shrink wrapped. I would also keep an eye on the broody after putting the chicks under her. It seems kind of odd to me that she would leave when her chicks are trying to hatch. Normally hens go into "lockdown" themselves at that point.
Thank you. I thought I should wait. So how do I know if the chick is shrink wrapped? I believe she left because the other hens in the coop started to attack her and the eggs. I think she panicked. I'm still a newbie at this.

Update on chicks/eggs:
First thank you HumbleHillsFarm and Chub_the_Chick for your help.
Out off the 5 eggs, three hatched (2 with assistance, they were zip locked). Last night we put the three chicks and 2 eggs back under our broody hen. So far all looks good. We think the other 2 eggs might have been played after the 3 that hatched so we want to see how it goes. When we candled them we saw definite signs of healthy looking growth.
Thanks again :love :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom