need help with treating REALLY bad quail wounds

sleepycat

Chirping
Nov 18, 2022
so i have a button roo who is normally with my girls, but i started noticing my girls had some bald patches from him, so i decided to try to put him in with my bachelor roos. they tore him up. the skin is peeling off of his head and he is obviously in a ton of pain. i feel so bad, im literally crying so much right now. i love him and i dont know what to do. i cleaned it up as best as possible. i cant take him to the vet, i cant afford it. i really need help

Sorry, I know nothing about quail, but I'll give advice that I do for my injured chickens.

First, make a Saline rinse. Boil two cups of water and add a teaspoon of salt. Let completely cool (can put in fridge or freezer to cool it faster) before use. Gently pour it on wounds to clean. Repeat cleaning 2-3 times a day. For first cleaning, you can use Hydrogen Peroxide (a spray would be great if you have it), but only for that first cleaning and no further cleanings unless absolutely necessary.
After cleaned, apply an ointment such a Bag Balm, Neosporin (without pain relief as many people suggest), or another poultry safe ointment if you have it.
Keep him separated in a clean space with fresh clean water and food until he's healed. Adding electrolytes to his water also might prove to be helpful. Make sure he's staying active enough so that he's not in shock or anything. Expect to see random green spots on his injured skin (that don't stink); those are bruises.

Again, that is chicken care, as I don't know much about quail.

You dont have enough females with him, overbreeding. You cant put males all together. Guess you learned that. Throw him in a cage by hiself to recover. If he aint dead he'll live

T
Sorry, I know nothing about quail, but I'll give advice that I do for my injured chickens.

First, make a Saline rinse. Boil two cups of water and add a teaspoon of salt. Let completely cool (can put in fridge or freezer to cool it faster) before use. Gently pour it on wounds to clean. Repeat cleaning 2-3 times a day. For first cleaning, you can use Hydrogen Peroxide (a spray would be great if you have it), but only for that first cleaning and no further cleanings unless absolutely necessary.
After cleaned, apply an ointment such a Bag Balm, Neosporin (without pain relief as many people suggest), or another poultry safe ointment if you have it.
Keep him separated in a clean space with fresh clean water and food until he's healed. Adding electrolytes to his water also might prove to be helpful. Make sure he's staying active enough so that he's not in shock or anything. Expect to see random green spots on his injured skin (that don't stink); those are bruises.

Again, that is chicken care, as I don't know much about quail.
This is historically good advice for wound care management, @sleepycat . 1) Saline cleanse and irrigation is good to clean any debris from a wound; 2) hydrogen peroxide is a great antimicrobial and at the same time releases oxygen to the tissue, but the downside is that it destroys some of the new cells that arrive to start wound healing. Iodine is an excellent broad based antimicrobial without the downside risk, is cheap and readily available. Additionally, if hydrogen peroxide is used, it should only be used one time for an initial treatment, not ongoing wound care treatment (because it destroys granulation tissue—those delicate new cells that are healing the wound). 3) Bag Balm is an awesome product, and great for many uses. It’s definitely a superior product for creating a biofilm to protect and promote wound healing. The only product better than this that I have found in my research is coconut oil. (I buy the Nutiva 100% Organic Coconut Oil from Whole Foods). If you don’t have access to Coconut Oil or Bag Balm, Vaseline will create an effective biofilm to protect and promote wound healing.

I am wishing you all the best and praying for his speedy recovery! ❤️🙏🏻🙏🏻

You dont have enough females with him, overbreeding. You cant put males all together. Guess you learned that. Throw him in a cage by hiself to recover. If he aint dead he'll live
actually, that isnt the issue. he was previously in a cage with 6 girls and 1 other rooster, but was causing harm to the girls, which is why i tried moving him in the first place. the roosters i tried to house him with were bachelors and had no contact with girls for the past few weeks.

^ and no the hens with bald patches were not caused by overbreeding, the other roo from that cage is generally much calmer and easy going on the girls. he was just extremely unpredictable and would love a girl one day and peck at her the next.

In my experience quails are some of the most resilient lil birds out there. I've taken care of a number of "scalped" buttons and all the advice given here is spot on! Just make sure to keep him warm and separated in a calm spot somewhere indoors, without any kind of bedding that could get stuck in his injuries.
I’ve always made sure to keep the wounds moist with ointment/balm. Adding a heat lamp never hurts, as long as he has room to move away.
And hey, don't feel so bad! You are doing your best to help him, and that's all you can do. As long as he has a safe spot, food, and water, he should heal up <3

Keep the wound clean as others have mentioned. Keep him warm and in a quiet place. He should heal.

Button quail do best in pairs, unlike coturnix, which do best with about 5 hens per roo.
about the grouping, i am aware, but i've been keeping them in a group for a few months and everything has been fine besides the pecking at girls. he didnt even peck at the calmer roo, just at certain hens lol

Back
Top Bottom