need nest box measurements

CrazyChookLady5

Songster
6 Years
Dec 6, 2013
Australia, NSW
hi everyone
I'm planning to make some nest boxes for my chooks, but I need help with the measurement and supplies part.
I have about 16 laying hens so, how many boxes do you think i'll need??
here are some pictures of what I want them to look like.

thanks for your help

12 x12 inckes would be good. U can even go a few inches bigger. For 16 birds ide go with atleast 6 nest boxes. I think i built mine 15 x 12. Sometimes /2 birdswill get in the nest box at the same time

I initially had 14 x 14 in. boxes and that size works out great for large girls. We had two boxes but the 4 girls all used the same one. When we built the new coop, we went to one large communal box that was large enough for at least 3-4 girls to nest at the same time if they wanted to. The communal box is 4 ft long and is about 16 in. deep.

I now have 8 hens and they use only two separate spots in the communal nesting box. One box for every 3 or 4 hens is all you'll need.

I have about 16 laying hens so, how many boxes do you think i'll need??
Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³) will hold 2 cramped Golden Comet hens. I would go with 4 nest boxes for 16 hens. (Even then something tells me they will only use two.) I just used plastic milk crates on a shelf with a board zip tied to the front. When a feed bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

Easy Peasy

POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!

Easy peasy!.

Last edited:
I would go with 4 boxes as well, 6 if you have the space. 30-36 cm on each edge. Chickens really do a lot better on the metric system.

Back
Top Bottom