Need Poultry CSI for this mystery.. UPDATE PG 5

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
I placed three wooden eggs in the nest boxes a few weeks ago. They are a bit larger than the average eggs I get, but I was having trouble with one hen's egg always being crushed and someone suggested it.

OK, so the three eggs are each in a different nest box (total 14 nest boxes, and I placed them in three of the most used boxes).

Everything is fine for several days. As a matter of fact, no crushed eggs. But that's not the mystery.

Yesterday I go out to feed and find one of the wood eggs in the run!
ep.gif

There are no predators, no missing chickens, no missing eggs.
One or more of these hens had to somehow kick the egg out of the nest, and I can accept that much.
But then, it would have to carry it UP a ramp, across the mini-tunnel and out into the run...
hu.gif

Here is pic of inside of coop and ramp to go out:
HPIM1430-1.jpg

And here is picture of the outside, where I found the egg on the ground, about 10 feet away from the coop opening:
HPIM1048.jpg

Someone tell me how they did it, please!!!???
Smiley-Shrug.gif

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

Egg stealing squirrels?!
lau.gif
No way! My girls would eat squirrels! Yummy protein with fuzzy tails....

bun.gif
That Easter bunny may be collecting for April though.... hmmmm
lol.png

Seriously, I don't think it's a predator at all. The other (real) eggs are just fine. Plus, there's no entry/exit for a rat or squirrel, the run is completely enclosed.
A mouse or snake are probably the only things that can get in. It would have taken a team of mice, and any snakes are hibernating right now...so
hu.gif

idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom