Need something to line coop floor....

So my coop floor has some gaps in it, and the pine pellet saw dust falls through. This probably wouldn't be as big of a deal if the chooks didn't scratch at it so much. There's usually a bunch of saw dust underneath my coop in the morning D:

Do you have guys any recommendations as to what I can line the bottom with?

Thanks in advance!

So my coop floor has some gaps in it, and the pine pellet saw dust falls through. This probably wouldn't be as big of a deal if the chooks didn't scratch at it so much. There's usually a bunch of saw dust underneath my coop in the morning D:

Thanks in advance!
I use black plastic under the shavings. When I clean out the coop I can drag out the majority of the shavings with the plastic and dump the shavings into a garbage can. Then I spay the plastic with a hose and allow it to dry, put it back in the coop, and replace the shavings. Easy!

I use black plastic under the shavings. When I clean out the coop I can drag out the majority of the shavings with the plastic and dump the shavings into a garbage can. Then I spay the plastic with a hose and allow it to dry, put it back in the coop, and replace the shavings. Easy!
I use my old shavings, straw and poop in the compost bin

Thanks in advance!
I used some leftover vinyl flooring. It’s super easy to keep clean. I use the straw bedding from Wilco and just pick up the poop every couple of days. I only have 6 chickens and they are in their run most of the time.

Thanks in advance!
I lined my chicken coup with a truck liner from TSC supply ! Rest that was too short along one side, I put paver bricks and have extra treat food, oyster shells, gravel grit, I hang their pellets in same area, and water feeder on the bricks! I lay down shaving where they roost and sweep it out about every 5 days! Been about a month n so far working great

Thanks in advance!
Probably not a good idea to use saw dust in the first place due to the dust levels and the chook’s lungs. Maybe switch to pine shavings like the Premium bags at Tractor supply.

I lined my chicken coup with a truck liner from TSC supply ! Rest that was too short along one side, I put paver bricks and have extra treat food, oyster shells, gravel grit, I hang their pellets in same area, and water feeder on the bricks! I lay down shaving where they roost and sweep it out about every 5 days! Been about a month n so far working great
Creative! I like it.

I would worry about the chickens eating that! I would put some scrap linoleum on the floor and cover it with sand for the litter.
I'm going out for linoleum tomorrow! :wee

As for the bedding, they peck at it occasionally, it doesn't hurt them, it's really just fiber. Think about it, they eat rocks and shell, a little bit of wood won't hurt! There's probably a lot more other plants and insects in the yard that can kill them, I've seen them eat all kinds of weird things in my yard, and they've done a good job surviving so far =D

I think most reading my post skipped past the "pine pellet" part and only read "saw dust", I think expanded pine pellets are a little coarser than saw dust, I'm not quite sure, but it's a lot less dusty than people imagine. After reading another thread on BYC, I've started drying out my used coffee grinds to mix in with the pine, I don't know how it will work out, but it smells great, lol!

Back
Top Bottom