Needs A LOT Of Help Dealing With An Aggressive Hen

9SpiceyChickens

Free Ranging
Jul 24, 2018
In the coop, Northern CA
TL;DR- My once super sweet hen has now killed a 6 week old chick and hurt herself trying to get to another chick. Do you think she will ever be not so aggressive and be able to live with the chick that she hurt herself going after?

From the beginning. We got 3 chicks, 1 turned out to be a rooster, sent to a friend (House #1). Then another chick was too loud and ended up being sent to another friend (House #2). Now it’s just Bubblegum. (Names this because she was and still is sweet as bubblegum with humans, although it used to be super sweet with chickens as well.) Then because we don’t just want one chicken, we got 2 baby chicks. We raised them up and at 6 weeks we introduced and moved them in (or at least tried too). Bubblegum pecked Honey, one of the chicks too death one night. We moved Skipper back to her brooder and got a new coop just for skipper because we were out of town. When we came back they were both fine. They could see each other all day, but couldn’t get even close to touching each other. So today we let Bubblegum free range till 2:00pm then Skipper free range from 2:00pm-till 7:30 ish. Then during dinner time, I heard something and came out to see Bubblegum with blood on her beak and comb. I thought Bubblegum had somehow gotten Skipper so immediately looked for her. Skipper was totally fine, but trying to get to her, Bubblegum pulled up a flap of skin of herself. (Pictures in next post to show). Do you guys think that there is hope for them to ever get moved in together? House #1 could take her and if we were to give her away we would probably give her too them as they have 35+ chickens who all mind their own business. We could also move her in with House #2 but we are afraid she would get pecked to death their as she is the smallest of them all. What do you think we should do? If we give bubblegum away will be getting 1 or 2 started pullets her age to live with her or we might get 2 chicks and wait till their old enough to move in with her.

Most important question- do you guys think Bubblegum will ever be able to live with Skipper? If you think so, please please please tell me how.

Bubblegum is big white one, Skippers the small black. First coop is Bubblegums, second is Skippers. Both are prefab coops. Picture of run and roosting area. The reason Skipper has wire for the floor of her roosting is area is that there’s no ladder, so we didn’t expect Her to be able to get up there, but we didn’t want a big crack where the floor went so we put that and the roost up in there in case she can get up. We will be getting the ladder and proper poop tray up there soon.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
How long have these two been introduced?
I have read in a couple places that it might take a couple of months to increase your flock.
Did Bubblegum ever live with other chickens? Maybe the introduction hasn't taken yet to the point she is secure.
I'm sorry this is happening for you.
Can you bribe her with food..? Show her your second bird, give her a piece of corn, put the second away... bring her back out, give her another bit of corn-- yada yada-- get her to associate her with something she likes..?
I am no expert with chickens yet, but I've raised my share of people, cats, dogs, gerbils, and trouble-- and it's always about what works with the least amount of blood shed. 😆
They are both pretty girls and I hope you find the best, easiest way to fix your situation.

Need photos of the coops from further back, can't see anything this close as far as how they're placed on the property, how they're laid out overall, etc.
Would help to see more pics, but long narrow enclosure shown is not conducive to integration.

You said at 6 weeks you introduced the chicks to the adult. How long before that did they have time seeing but not touching each other?
Was wondering this also.

Here's some tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Back
Top Bottom