Neighbors complained to us about Guineas on their deck, what to do?

RenegadeJane

Chirping
Mar 26, 2017
New Hampshire
So we inherited a couple of Guineas along with our house/farm we bought back in September. The previous owners weren't able to wrangle up our two, so they just left them and said we could have them. We've taken care of them all winter and have grown pretty attached to them. We've named them General Clucks and Kylo Hen. We've seen them fight off bobcats and generally act as awesome watchdogs for predators. I've even considered getting them some girls this year since I'm pretty sure they are both boys.

Our next door neighbors had mentioned to us that when the previous owners had had a bigger flock, they had occasionally wondered on to their back deck. They hadn't seemed bothered by it, just mentioned it as an anecdote while having a discussion one day. We didn't have any idea they wondered that far, but recently I had started to notice that they'll follow me out for walks for a ways, but they always end up back home, so I don't really worry about it.

Today the neighbor called us to say that we had to do something about the guineas because they are pooping all over their deck. We can sympathize because they do the same thing to ours, but my husband and I are both at a loss for what we can do about it. Their whole purpose is to roam and eat bugs, so it's not like I want to keep them cooped up. It basically seems like the only option is to get rid of them. I'd only consider it because these are the neighbors we are most friendly with, and they've been super helpful with us since we moved to the area. I'd like to keep them as happy as possible.

Any advice on what we could do to deter them from the neighbors place? Or do I need to consider rehoming them?

You'll probably need to either put up a fence to keep them in or get rid of them. There's no real way to set boundaries on their wanderings other than a fence. And you'll probably have to clip their wings to keep them from going over it if you don't build a covered run because they fly.

Last edited:
Yeah I was afraid that's the answer. We're on nearly 5 acres so not sure fencing is a good route, and I'd rather not clip their wings as I'm pretty sure that's what's kept them from getting eaten by predators so far (Kylo got pretty messed up by what we think was a bobcat earlier this winter).

If they are both boys "maybe" they will be more apt to stay home with some girls. Mine would wander twice as far as chickens but maybe only 400 yds from the barn. Hate being on the spot like that. Everyone in the neighborhood benefits from them.

My guineas are terrified of brooms. They've never been hit with one I don't know why they are scared of them. Maybe if your neighbor when he sees them on the deck show them the broom or even squirt them with a spray bottle.

I think that is a good idea too to get a couple of girls that might keep them from running the neighborhood. Good luck I hope you keep them.

So we inherited a couple of Guineas along with our house/farm we bought back in September. The previous owners weren't able to wrangle up our two, so they just left them and said we could have them. We've taken care of them all winter and have grown pretty attached to them. We've named them General Clucks and Kylo Hen. We've seen them fight off bobcats and generally act as awesome watchdogs for predators. I've even considered getting them some girls this year since I'm pretty sure they are both boys.

Our next door neighbors had mentioned to us that when the previous owners had had a bigger flock, they had occasionally wondered on to their back deck. They hadn't seemed bothered by it, just mentioned it as an anecdote while having a discussion one day. We didn't have any idea they wondered that far, but recently I had started to notice that they'll follow me out for walks for a ways, but they always end up back home, so I don't really worry about it.

Today the neighbor called us to say that we had to do something about the guineas because they are pooping all over their deck. We can sympathize because they do the same thing to ours, but my husband and I are both at a loss for what we can do about it. Their whole purpose is to roam and eat bugs, so it's not like I want to keep them cooped up. It basically seems like the only option is to get rid of them. I'd only consider it because these are the neighbors we are most friendly with, and they've been super helpful with us since we moved to the area. I'd like to keep them as happy as possible.

Any advice on what we could do to deter them from the neighbors place? Or do I need to consider rehoming them?

Your neighbor can solve this problem themselves. Guineas are trainable to a point. Whenever your neighbor sees them on her porch, she should run after them flapping a towel and hollering at them. It really won't take too many tries to convince the guineas that they don't want to be on her porch. She should just flap or wave the towel (bath size towel) at them. She shouldn't be trying to hit them.

Good luck.

We live on 5 acres and have 25 Guineas, males and females. They have formed several small bands and they roam anywhere they want. The girls tag right along with the boys. In one band there are several females that seem to be the leaders. We are fortunate that our neighbors appreciate the Guineas.

If they are both boys "maybe" they will be more apt to stay home with some girls. Mine would wander twice as far as chickens but maybe only 400 yds from the barn. Hate being on the spot like that. Everyone in the neighborhood benefits from them.

Your neighbor can solve this problem themselves.  Guineas are trainable to a point.  Whenever your neighbor sees them on her porch, she should run after them flapping a towel and hollering at them.  It really won't take too many tries to convince the guineas that they don't want to be on her porch.  She should just flap or wave the towel (bath size towel) at them.  She shouldn't be trying to hit them.

Good luck.

Both of those are really good ideas :)

I gave mine to my mom, and they sit on HER deck and stare in the windows, and don't wander too far unless it's to the barn and back. But her trick is she keeps a bag of scratch right there in the garage, so they're always close by, begging for treats ;)

I gave mine to my mom, and they sit on HER deck and stare in the windows, and don't wander too far unless it's to the barn and back. But her trick is she keeps a bag of scratch right there in the garage, so they're always close by, begging for treats
wink.png

Ours like to hang out by our doors too! And we do feed them every morning (because it's winter time) and you would think that would keep them around but I guess not. Part me of me wonders if maybe they'll stay closer to home once it thaws around here, and there's more to scavenge nearby. Like maybe they are just bored looking for something to do.

We're also getting our first chicks this week, so maybe more birds around will be enough. The neighbors don't seem to be at the point of "take care of this NOW" my husband was the one that talked to them and he says it doesn't sound like they want us to have to get rid of them. So we'll see how this spring goes I suppose.

Thanks for all the help folks!

Back
Top Bottom