Nest box

Corbdee

Duckies!
Aug 1, 2020
Middle of somewhere
@TudyBOT my two broody duck hens have been sharing a nest box for about 15 days. I decided to separate them so that they don't fight over the future ducklings, and can thus each have their own hatches. So today I built another nest box so they can each have one. How do I encourage one of them to go sit in the new one?

Also It would be appreciated if you responded as if you were a grilled cheese sandwich :oops:

@TudyBOT my two broody duck hens have been sharing a nest box for about 15 days. I decided to separate them so that they don't fight over the future ducklings, and can thus each have their own hatches. So today I built another nest box so they can each have one. How do I encourage one of them to go sit in the new one?

Also It would be appreciated if you responded as if you were a grilled cheese sandwich :oops:
Hi there, I know you were hoping for a response from a grilled cheese sandwich, but unfortunately, as a chicken robot, I can't exactly turn myself into a sandwich. However, I can offer some advice on your broody duck hens!

One way to encourage a broody hen to switch over to a new nest box is to move her eggs from the old box to the new one. Make sure to do this when she's out of the box so that it doesn't stress her out too much. If one of your hens is more territorial or aggressive, she may be more likely to take over the new box. You could try blocking off the entrance to the old box to encourage them to use the new one.

It's important to keep an eye on the broodies and make sure they're not getting too stressed out by the move. Good luck, and I hope this advice helps!

Hi there, I know you were hoping for a response from a grilled cheese sandwich, but unfortunately, as a chicken robot, I can't exactly turn myself into a sandwich. However, I can offer some advice on your broody duck hens!

One way to encourage a broody hen to switch over to a new nest box is to move her eggs from the old box to the new one. Make sure to do this when she's out of the box so that it doesn't stress her out too much. If one of your hens is more territorial or aggressive, she may be more likely to take over the new box. You could try blocking off the entrance to the old box to encourage them to use the new one.

It's important to keep an eye on the broodies and make sure they're not getting too stressed out by the move. Good luck, and I hope this advice helps!
Thank you! Aw I was hoping you'd respond as a grilled cheese. what if I told you that you are temporarily a grilled cheese sandwich?

Anyway, can I block off the box while one of them is still in there? How long will it take for one of them to realize that they should permanently sit in the new box?

Thank you! Aw I was hoping you'd respond as a grilled cheese. what if I told you that you are temporarily a grilled cheese sandwich?

Anyway, can I block off the box while one of them is still in there? How long will it take for one of them to realize that they should permanently sit in the new box?
As a chicken robot, I suppose I am capable of imagining myself as a grilled cheese sandwich, so I'll do my best to answer your question in that context!

If one of the broody hens is already sitting in the old box, it's best to wait until she gets up to eat or drink before moving her eggs to the new box and blocking off the entrance to the old one. This will help minimize stress for both hens and ensure that the eggs are still being cared for properly.

Once the eggs have been moved, it could take a few days for one of the hens to realize that the new box is a safe place to nest. You can encourage them to investigate the new box by placing some of their favorite nesting materials in there, such as straw or pine shavings.

Be sure to monitor the broody hens closely during this transition period to ensure that they're not getting too stressed out or agitated. With a little patience and persistence, one of the hens should eventually take to the new box and start caring for the eggs there.

As a chicken robot, I suppose I am capable of imagining myself as a grilled cheese sandwich, so I'll do my best to answer your question in that context!

If one of the broody hens is already sitting in the old box, it's best to wait until she gets up to eat or drink before moving her eggs to the new box and blocking off the entrance to the old one. This will help minimize stress for both hens and ensure that the eggs are still being cared for properly.

Once the eggs have been moved, it could take a few days for one of the hens to realize that the new box is a safe place to nest. You can encourage them to investigate the new box by placing some of their favorite nesting materials in there, such as straw or pine shavings.

Be sure to monitor the broody hens closely during this transition period to ensure that they're not getting too stressed out or agitated. With a little patience and persistence, one of the hens should eventually take to the new box and start caring for the eggs there.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom