Nest Experiment.

Col1948

Songster
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester UK
I posted a while ago about how some hens seem to prefer one nest and leave the others alone.

So today I decided to just try something, I took out the wooden nest box that has separations.
I replaced it with a long cardboard box with no separations, it's the same length as the wooden one.
I put straw back in and I'm going to see how that cope with it, will they make a couple of circular nests or what, I'll wait and see?

I have a large communal nest... about 42” long with no dividers... if yours are like mine, they will still mostly compete for one corner... silly chickens!

They do sometimes spread out, but often I can walk in there and find two hens scrunched against each other in the one corner. It does seem to eliminate the “hey let me in there” fuss that happens when they all want the one coveted box .

It’ll be fun to see what yours do!

I have 7 Pullets 25 weeks old, all laying at 23 weeks.
The first 3 to lay used just 1 of 3 nests.
I bought more ceramic eggs and put 2 in each of the other nests and now all nests are being used. But I don't think it was because of the extra eggs in the other nests. I think when the others started to lay that 1 nest was occupied and they were forced to use the others. But I don't know for sure. 20190206_093136.jpg . 20190206_093130.jpg . I have since removed the 2 extra ceramic eggs. These pics are from yesterday. GC

I have had various lays, most times it is one egg in the centre nest and two in the end nest.
I have one pullet that I thought had started to lay because one day I had four eggs, then back to three again, then I found one egg late on in the day making four again.
Today back to three again, can an early/young layer go every other day?

I have had various lays, most times it is one egg in the centre nest and two in the end nest.
I have one pullet that I thought had started to lay because one day I had four eggs, then back to three again, then I found one egg late on in the day making four again.

Yes. Even seasoned hens take a day off.

I looked in first thing this morning as I let them out of the coop, I had one egg, it was laid by the younger Cuckoo Maran and it was laid nearest the door of the coop.
Later I saw the Black Rock go in, she too laid in the same spot, then almost straight after the other Cuckoo Maran went in and she must have squatted right next to the Rock, I saw the Rock leave the nest but the Maran was still in there, she had scooped the Rock's egg under her.
I looked in at lunchtime and the big grey hen I think it is a Bluebell, had laid her egg in the other end of the box in the corner furthest from the door.

My first thought was ....they'll lay anywhere but the new nest....cause they hate change.
But sounds like they like it, eh?
I love your curiosity, 'experiments', and observations!

Yes, My seven 25 weeks old Barred Rocks lay 4 to 6, usually 5 to 6.
I'm still waiting for the lucky 7 egg day.
On a side note one of my three 34 months old Golden Comets laid her first egg yesterday since she started to molt last November. She laid another today. 2 eggs in 2 days. 20190207_090007.jpg . Yesterday was my first ever 8 egg day between both Flocks. 20190208_101522.jpg . GC

Another thing as well has me curious, the hen Cuckoo Maran was laying late last year then stopped during malt but started again not long ago, she has always laid a medium dark brown egg.
Now the younger pullet Maran has started to lay and her eggs are bigger large eggs, at first they were a light buff colour but now they are dark brown.

Another thing as well has me curious, the hen Cuckoo Maran was laying late last year then stopped during malt but started again not long ago, she has always laid a medium dark brown egg.
Now the younger pullet Maran has started to lay and her eggs are bigger large eggs, at first they were a light buff colour but now they are dark brown.
Yeah the same breed can lay different sizes between them.
If the young girl is laying large now, they could get bigger. GC

Back
Top Bottom